Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am buying a new 10,000 watt portable generator with the intent to plug it into a transfer switch to my main panel. I plan on bringing an electrician in but have a couple of questions in the meantime. I have a main panel that is 200 amps and a subpanel in my garage but the main panel has the circuits that I want to use with the transfer panel. The new generator has a 120/240V, 50A – (NEMA 14-50R) outlet. It also has a 30A NEMA L14-30R outlet but I believe it's the 50A outlet I need to use to connect to the outdoor outlet for the transfer switch once it is installed. My question is whether there will be any issues tying in the transfer switch into the main panel given that there are only 2 slots left. I have an acquaintance who is a contractor and he was going off about potential issues I may have and that I may need to upgrade my panel. Anyway, see attached photo of my main panel. Slots 28 and 30 are available. Slots 16 and 18 go out to my subpanel which does have a number of open slots. I only know the basics about how a transfer switch ties into the main panel. I don't know any more than that so I am looking for an assessment and any advice anyone has. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would either use a MA24 GenerLink or move down breakers to make space below the main breaker and install a Square-D interlock (check to see which one is appropriate for your panel).

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tandem breakers could be used to free up some space. I've never used them myself but there's enough electricians on this forum to weigh in. Example I grabbed at random attached.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tandem breakers could be used to free up some space. I've never used them myself but there's enough electricians on this forum to weigh in. Example I grabbed at random attached.

That load center doesn't accept tandem breakers. Spec sheet indicates maximum number of tandem breakers is zero. It has 30 slots and 30 circuits:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would either use a MA24 GenerLink or move down breakers to make space below the main breaker and install a Square-D interlock (check to see which one is appropriate for your panel).
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Thanks for the reply. I will need to digest this more but so far it seems like there are no red flags which is what I was concerned with.
That load center doesn't accept tandem breakers. Spec sheet indicates maximum number of tandem breakers is zero. It has 30 slots and 30 circuits:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I have learned alot already. I found a photo of what it would look like although this photo is if the main was on the bottom. Mine is on top. It seems like the electrician would move all of the breakers on the right side down two slots so that the two available slots would be on top. The breakers for the generator would fill those two slots and the interlock switch would switch between those breakers and the main. I am sure this is straightforward for everyone on this forum, but new to me. If there are any gotcha's or anything I am missing, let me know. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
OK I have learned alot already. I found a photo of what it would look like although this photo is if the main was on the bottom. Mine is on top. It seems like the electrician would move all of the breakers on the right side down two slots so that the two available slots would be on top. The breakers for the generator would fill those two slots and the interlock switch would switch between those breakers and the main. I am sure this is straightforward for everyone on this forum, but new to me. If there are any gotcha's or anything I am missing, let me know. Thanks for your help.
You wouldn't need to move all of the breakers on one side down. Just move the two top circuits where the generator breaker will go down to the bottom. The two hot wires being moved need to be extended inside the panel using standard twist-on wire connectors and some matching gauge black or red wire.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
You wouldn't need to move all of the breakers on one side down. Just move the two top circuits where the generator breaker will go down to the bottom. The two hot wires being moved need to be extended inside the panel using standard twist-on wire connectors and some matching gauge black or red wire.
Agreed, this keeps the panel circuit labels mostly untouched.

i would do a couple of tandems then also add an whole house surge protector as well
and also look at a meters box as an add on.
pm if you need links.
Good suggestion but The panel isn’t listed for tandems. Unless square d‘s homeline breakers has a non circuit limiting tandem like QO Does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi. I am buying a new 10,000 watt portable generator with the intent to plug it into a transfer switch to my main panel. I plan on bringing an electrician in but have a couple of questions in the meantime. I have a main panel that is 200 amps and a subpanel in my garage but the main panel has the circuits that I want to use with the transfer panel. The new generator has a 120/240V, 50A – (NEMA 14-50R) outlet. It also has a 30A NEMA L14-30R outlet but I believe it's the 50A outlet I need to use to connect to the outdoor outlet for the transfer switch once it is installed. My question is whether there will be any issues tying in the transfer switch into the main panel given that there are only 2 slots left. I have an acquaintance who is a contractor and he was going off about potential issues I may have and that I may need to upgrade my panel. Anyway, see attached photo of my main panel. Slots 28 and 30 are available. Slots 16 and 18 go out to my subpanel which does have a number of open slots. I only know the basics about how a transfer switch ties into the main panel. I don't know any more than that so I am looking for an assessment and any advice anyone has. Thanks!
My transfer switch is connected to the main breaker and is a different setup than you guys use. I have not seen this setup being used in USA, its heavy duty and foolproof. It's what most people here in Puerto Rico use. Power goes out: pull the lever down, outside power gets cut off and generator power goes in. The top red light shows when there's outside power coming in. There's a little green LED in the bottom that comes on when there's generator power. With the top red light I can tell when the powers comes back and ate the same time how much voltage is coming into the house

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
285 Posts
Since your main panel is almost full, why don't you consider adding a subpanel next to the main panel? Subpanels are available already equipped with an interlock. You can move the circuits you want to power with the generator to the subpanel, and free up spaces in your main panel for any future expansion that you might need. Here is what I did. Only one breaker to switch when I switch to generator.
Control panel Gas Technology Machine Electronic device
Kitchen appliance Major appliance Gas Home appliance Machine

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll try tomorrow during daytime. Its a simple manual transfer switch. Lever up: power from the electric company. Middle: everyting off. Lever down: Generator power.
Here are the extra pics, specifically the one for the Eaton transfer switch. Also I added a surge protector to the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a 50 Amp 2 Phase Camper Receprtacle with an RV extension and what is called a Dog Bone Surge Protector. Is connected to both phases on my Circuit Breaker Panel and also has a Switch to disconnect from the grid. All in the house work as before, however, since I am dealing with 50 Amps and reduced power (NG) setup (around 6KW), I have to be consious on what electrical appliances I am using at the same time.

The reson for that is, that I can use the same setup for my Camper if I need to.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts