Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I've got a Böhmer-AG AG-6500w-e generator.

It's reasonably new, but it started playing up whilst running.

I've removed all the old fuel which was old, and have cleaned the carb out with carb cleaner. I then blew it out with a compressor.

It starts easily enough, but once I take the choke off, it doesn't run well at all.

If you take a look at the following video, you'll see the throttle sort of 'pulsing', I then put the choke on and then hold the throttle still and it seems to be OK. However as soon as I let go of the throttle linkage, it starts the 'pulsing' thing again.

Has anyone got any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
926 Posts
It will likely be a carburetor issue. It is often very hard to clean the very small passages inside the carb with using an ultrasonic cleaner. When shutting down the gen be sure to run it until the carb bowl runs dry of fuel...choking the gen as it is dying from fuel starvation will help suck the fuel out. Open the bowl drain and check for any leftover gas after the gen quits. If you are using ethanol fuel (E5 or E10) it is especially important to not leave any fuel in the carb.
Search the forum for "surging" and you will see this is common.
Here is an example (the fuel switch issue wouldn't apply to your gen):

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yep, that a carb issue. There's still an obstruction somewhere. The easiest way to really clean the carb completely is by using some Simple Green and an ultrasonic cleaner. I had a Honda carb that had sat with E10 in it for a couple of years. It was bad. I didn't even try to get it running like that. I pulled the carb off, broke it down, and let it sit in the cleaner for about 90 minutes. It looked like new when it was done. Reassembled it, installed it back, and the engine runs like it's right out of the box. I have a Firman carb that seems a bit moody. I swear, if it gives me so much as a wink of attitude, it's going ultrasonic for two hours. I may even use the heater if I'm annoyed enough.

But yeah, you still have some work to do on that carb.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'll dismantle it, and drop it in there tomorrow.
Since you're experiencing high-speed surging, be sure to remove the main jet and emulsion tube before cleaning. There's likely some crud up in there, and/or in those parts. If adding a little choke smooths it out, the engine is running lean due to a blockage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have the same generator as you and touch wood no problems so far, accept for having to change a perished fuel line and battery after 3yrs....Haven't had any engine problems yet, but I havent use it for long runs yet.

I just make sure its used once a month with a light load, so to get rid of the old fuel in the pipes and engine. As I never run the engine dry, but just switch off engine and turn off fuel tap. But I do use stabilizer in the fuel that is E5/E10 fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts