Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new PW 5 years ago.. I used it a couple of times, lent it to a few friends, and then my ex-wife kept it for 3 years.. I finally got it back, and when I tried to start it.. can't pull the cord. Back pressure? easy fix right.. I squeezed the trigger and got the garden hose pressure out. But the sucker still is locked up. If the unloader valve corroded, would that maintain the pressure in the pump? Or am I looking at replacing the entire pump? The gas was drained, there's oil (looks clean), all the switches were off, petcock closed. But I don't think I've gotten that far to worry about those things.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Homelite 2700psi with a Honda CGV190 (I have had a honda mower that has started on the first pull for 6 years.. )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same motor that sat for a bit and attempting to pull the cord gave me the same symptoms you are describing. It was completely locked up when attempting to pull the cord. Check the oil, pull the spark plug and see if it will turn over without the plug installed. . Mine shot about a cup of water out the sparkplug hole when i did this. After seeing this i decided to split the case and found the case full of a sludge of oil/dirt/and water. Engine has no removeable head so splitting the case was my only option and its not really an easy fix at all. It is easy if you have all the tools, but it is just annoyingly time consuming. Also cleaning the carb is a necessity if its sat for 3 years.

It isnt a problem with the pump, it is a problem with the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new PW 5 years ago.. I used it a couple of times, lent it to a few friends, and then my ex-wife kept it for 3 years.. I finally got it back, and when I tried to start it.. can't pull the cord. Back pressure? easy fix right.. I squeezed the trigger and got the garden hose pressure out. But the sucker still is locked up. If the unloader valve corroded, would that maintain the pressure in the pump? Or am I looking at replacing the entire pump? The gas was drained, there's oil (looks clean), all the switches were off, petcock closed. But I don't think I've gotten that far to worry about those things.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Homelite 2700psi with a Honda CGV190 (I have had a honda mower that has started on the first pull for 6 years.. )
Get at least a 4gpm at 4000psi pressure washer. Anything smaller than that is going to take so long to clean with.

Our power washing company in detroit mi uses 16gpm @ 3500psi for example and we run circles around some of our competitors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I suggest you split the water pump from the engine so you can definitively trace the issue to either the engine or washer.

As for the water pressure / water volume spec, my experience is that of the two the volume is more responsible for speed of cleaning than the pressure.

I typically use 1500-1700 psi to clean whatever.. increasing to around 2200 psi for hard plastic or other hard surfaces.
By running at only the pressure you need leaves enough engine headroom (horsepower) to allow increased nozzle sizes - which results in wider coverage, which equals quicker cleaning.
For instance, at 1700 psi my 7 hp unit can easily employ a 4.0 (I think the unit came factory with 2.5 nozzles, which was capable of barely 2700 psi).

I've kept records of nozzle size vs pressure vs rpm, which I can share if you're curious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts