Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new guy here. I have a craftsman 580750910 pressure washer. I just got it out today. Its been sitting for a year n a half. It started up but when I pull the trigger on the gun it dies. When I try to restart the pull string starts to get hard to pull. Also if I let in sit just running I saw water coming out if the thermal relief valve. Is that normal? Anyways I took the unloader valve out and disassembled it and didn't see much wrong. I did notice the plunger is very hard to depress when I put it back together. The spring for it is very stiff. I reassembled and it's doing the same thing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It definitely sounds like the pump is damaged. If you live in an area where outside temperatures drop below freezing there is a good chance that residual internal water froze and did the deed. But, otherwise, I don't know the internals well enough to guess.
Usually the engine block has drilled and tapped holes that will line up with several brands of pumps. The only thing you need to match is the engine output shaft size to the pump. Typically that is 3/4" for engines up to around 7 hp and 1" for larger hp.
Many manufacturers sell complete pumps, though it's easy to spend $300 and up if you want a high performance name brand .
That's about all I know. Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I should have added a 'P.S.': Never let a pressure washer pump run without pumping water for more than a minute because the pump uses the cold water flowing through it for cooling. When it gets too hot many pumps will open up a special thermal relief valve so that some cooling water can flow.
You shouldn't count on that for containing potential damage, however, because it's at that point the pumps oil is already overheated.
Hey! There's a thought: Maybe your pump is out of oil?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts