Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Predator 8750 Generator (I know they aren't great) that has been giving me some strange problems. We use the generator to power a mobile dog grooming trailer, so what it's generally powering would be LED lights, a Window A/C Unit, a pair of clippers, a Water Heater, a forced air heat blow dryer, a shop vacuum, and other occasional low load items such as a cell phone charger. The generator recently melted the brushes due to a shoddy cable setup from the gen to the trailer. Poor choice of extension cords got super hot (excessive resistance). I replaced the brushes and got a heavy duty 30A extension cord with the shortest length we could find (15 FT). After this the gen worked fine. Extension cord doesn't get hot anymore etc. We had a new generator box made for the gen and it puts the exhaust side of the generator right up against the side of the box, but we had a large hole cut in it for the exhaust. The issue that we're having now is that after a few hours of use, the generator will lose power output and will only power the LED lights, but they will pulse on and off like someone is using a dimmer switch on them. When this happens, I've found that the frame of the generator is so hot that it will burn me. I found out the hard way when I tried to pull the gen out of the box while it was running to check it. I shut the generator off and restarted it just for grins, after the restart there was no power at all, not even the pulsating lights. I replaced the IVR on the unit immediately after this issue occurred and fired the generator off again while it was still hot to the touch and put the gen back in the box and the power output was good for another hour. We went to use it this morning and after a couple hours the same issue occurred - No power except pulsating lights. I have a feeling that this is heat related I.E. more heat = more resistance, but I was hoping I could get some advice. Thanks in advance! I'm a Master Automotive Diagnostic Technician with the associated tools, so you can talk to me like I'm somewhat experienced :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
so you are running the gen in a quiet box?
do you have a temp probe in the box?
if not you need one asap!

all gens need to be at below 100 deg f during the run...
and above 32 deg f for the best run...
so fans and cool air.

it has to do with over heating the windings and electronics on an avr unit...
and avr might un solder its sealed parts at 140 deg f and up on the outside of the gen.
it is hotter inside under the covers at load.
same on the caps unless they used 300 deg f rated caps.
most low cost gens do not use the better parts...

same if it was an inverter gen... i like to keep those at 80 deg f or lower....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you are running the gen in a quiet box?
do you have a temp probe in the box?
if not you need one asap!

all gens need to be at below 100 deg f during the run...
and above 32 deg f for the best run...
so fans and cool air.

it has to do with over heating the windings and electronics on an avr unit...
and avr might un solder its sealed parts at 140 deg f and up on the outside of the gen.
it is hotter inside under the covers at load.
same on the caps unless they used 300 deg f rated caps.
most low cost gens do not use the better parts...

same if it was an inverter gen... i like to keep those at 80 deg f or lower....
I hadnt though of using a fan! That's a fantastic idea! We leave the lid to the gen box open while its running but I am 99% sure its definitely getting over 100 degrees F on the side of the gen where all the windings are. Thank you for your response, you have confirmed my suspicions, I know cars, not generators :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
lots of designs out there...
also look in to zombie box brand for ideas.
use a thermometer with alarm temps is a great idea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Your predator 8750 is equipped with a carbon monoxide detector that shuts the unit down when the level gets to high.
The detectors have been known to not function all that well and cause some unusual problems.

"CO SECURE™ technology automatically shuts down the generator for safety when harmful levels of carbon monoxide are detected"

You need to let the unit breathe freely and maybe disable the carbon monoxide detector.
Maybe give the owners manual a quick read.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top