Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find parts to rebuild a Predator 3500 inverter generator? I see some piston/ring kits on ebay, but none that say they are for my model number. I can't locate a specific model number on the generator itself, but it looks identical to the one on Harbor Freight's website, and that part number is: 63584

I have the phone number for Harbor Freight, but I'd like to call them last if anyone here can point me in the right direction first.

Story: I got this generator for free. I don't need it, but if I can fix it, why not take it, right? The original owner used it for motorcycle racing to power his RV and motorcycle tire warmers. It would run all day and then he took it to a really hot location. It was running balls out and it finally just gave up the ghost. We're assuming the piston/rings are gone. If I can't rebuild this cheaply, I'm going to give the whole thing to a friend of mine that will use the electronic components for something. He's a really smart tinkerer so I'm sure he'll find something cool to do with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I plan to test. I'm just thinking ahead to when I need parts. I truly think the piston/rings/cylinder got scorched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a borescope. I'm really looking forward to taking a peak inside with it! Some of the basic testing equipment that I do not have a can be rented for free from the auto parts store a half-mile away.

I have had zero time since I picked up this generator so I have yet to even remove any side panels. But hopefully I can get to it soon enough and report back what I find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point, with the valves. I do have feeler gauges that will work nicely. I don't know where to find engine specs on this thing, though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
see the video link below of the valve setting
click here for valve setting video for hf gen set
.005 intake, .007 exhaust in inches
or 5 thou intake and 7 thou exhaust.
that video is ok but the proper tools is kinda a must
and make sure to check the clearance after the snug tight on the lock nut for the adjuster.
they like to walk tighter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks iowagold. Looks like valve jobs I've done before, so shouldn't be too difficult. Appreciate all your help!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Assuming piston and rings is kind of a stretch. Fuel, compression, spark... gotta figure out whats missing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts