Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Powerland PDG10000E generator. The gen has no output, no readings on panel. Replaced VAR without results. Also, measured V on Brushes, R1,R2, L1, L2 all with less than 2V and R1 L1 =0

Do I have a fried Alternator or is some else. Also, if the Allternator is gone, where do I get one? Seems near imposible to get a good Gen Part Catalog for this model in particular. However, for what I see, the Alt and Engine, seems to be generic with all Generator Brands... so there are compatablity/commonality with different brands?

Thanks in advanve :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
gen10k .. how good are you with wrenching?
just replace the gen head assy.
northern tool has a few heads.

or just replace the generator with a non jina clone generator..
I like the eu7000is honda generator and they have a tri fuel kit out now for them
click here for the honda generator pages
there are links for parts as well as whole new generators.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Gen was running fine. Was runing the AC, Washing Machine and decided to start the Dryer that is a Gas Dryer. The load should be minimal. All the sudden, lights got dimmer and flickering, the power stop, the engine kept on running. That is when I thought the VAR went south. Well, is not it. I am going to attempt to flash the core using the drill method. If not dice... replace the Stator and Rotor.

So what is the proper name for the Stator & Rotor combo, the Head, Alternator,....?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, tried to Re-Flash the core with a Drill, Gen Off and Gen Running. No luck... even used a Cordless Drill to spin the drill to speed.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Flashing the alternator is mostly generators that have sat for a long time and lost their excitation.

You very well might be better off buying a new generator. Unfortunately these inexpensive Chinese gens are designed to be replaced, not repaired.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see... going to look for a Single Speed drill.

Trying to check all and try all before I throw the towel on the Gen Head/Alternator.

Yes, used an old virable speed DeWalt. Did not knew that has to be a non variable speed.

BTW, what do you mean a long time? More than 6 months, a Year, a Decade? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No dice, the Gen is dead. The motor runs fine, starts right up on Natural Gas but not Electric output.

Need to find a Generator Head/Alternator for a 10K Start/8K Run. Bummer, almost new Gen with less than 10hrs of operation.

·
Registered
677 Posts
it all depends on the generator on the sit time..
most of the time they are at 1 year or more... then they can loose the magnetism on the rotor...
or if the generator is dropped or bounced hard during transport in the back of a pickup truck or cargo trailer.
this is on the alternator style units that do not have fixed magnets.
I have even seen brand new units that need re-flashed due to rough handling in ups freight shipping.

and for that reason I like the honda eu series of generators... they have fixed magnets on the rotor / flywheel and the stator is the coils.
pretty cool design too.

I am still looking for a replacement 10k generator head.. at least as retail..
most of the larger heads need 28 hp or more to drive them.

when I find one I will post it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have a 16HP, 416 cc Single, Sanding motor.

The Gen was seating roughly few months over a year. Was running fine until I put perhaps, a hair too much on the load. Power just faded away to 0. Looked for tripped circuit breakers and any obvious things like that, could not find any.

I am pretty good with tools and able to follow detailed instructions. Also, have a decent tool set that I was able to replace a 3.4 V6 GM engine Cylinder Heads in my garage. So pulling the Gen Head out seems to be a cake walk ;)

Before blaming the Gen Head, there is another test that can be done? I hate to throw parts on an issue with the hope to find a fix. I like to troubleshoot the problem, when it happens again, I will know for sure on what to do.

Might pay a visit to the local Harbor Freight and see if they have a Gen Head laying around, just for kicks and giggles.

·
Registered
677 Posts
it depends on the alternator design for the exact testing.
post a few pix of the head wiring inside the end cover.

I have several gen testing manuals for other models up on the net.
just a bit over 35tb in generator service manuals.
if I saw the inside of the end I bet I could come close.

question for you is this a brush less design?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Has brushes and check out fine. Will take a pic and post it. However, for what I see, is like many gens around. The VAR is located at about 7 o'clock and the R1, R2, L1, L2 at about 2 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
No capacitor just the AVR. I'm assuming thats a brushed alternator. The holder might be the black plastic item located at around 11oclock. If the brushes become pitted or glazed, contact with the armature is lost and the alternator will fail to produce power.

Its worth investigating.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts