Power Equipment Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
US carb sent me a new snorkel in two days. Noticed the difference right away even in the stiffness of the main body and the straightness of the snorkel ends. Easy to blow through on both sides. Installed tonight, 8 turns and it is running well. Will do a load test tonight or tomorrow to fine tune it.
Hopefully the leak in the propane was your issue.
Couple of things that I dials that I found helpful. I installed the snorkel with the tips at the top of the carb. Not sure that the Choke will work but don’t care. I removed the Carberator and assembled off of the generator. This allowed me to open up the throttle to check the positioning. I had my wife help me hold the assemble together as I secured it to the generator. Keeping my fingers crossed for you my friend!
That’s the way I originally had it installed, in top which makes choke difficult but would seem to allow more flow. Now I’m going to have to reinstall . See it’s your fault with dat choke stuff😀. I changed it to make choke work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well at least you will be well practiced 😉 . I think I could do it blindfolded at this point. Gave up on the choke working after the last try.
So have to share that we got hit by bad storms tonight and …. Power went out. Generator is getting its first true test and working well.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
good job texas t!
glad you are up!
hope your damage is not too bad.
stay safe down there!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well at least you will be well practiced 😉 . I think I could do it blindfolded at this point. Gave up on the choke working after the last try.
So have to share that we got hit by bad storms tonight and …. Power went out. Generator is getting its first true test and working well.
Can of starting fluid will solve choke issue if the generator ever will not start with gasoline. I've had a lot of practice now too but all is well that ends well. U.S Carb is a pretty good company. They provided support and replaced parts quickly. That replacement regulator is already in the mail.

Glad your gen is working for your first outage. Mine was all taken apart when my last outage happened.:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
What's the green item in front of the demand regulator? I only have a single pressure regulator at the tank before the demand regulator.
View attachment 9388
I believe that green regulator is to help prevent the propane from freezing in cold weather. Also, I said I planned to use a 100 pound tank so assumed I was sent parts for that. You are the second person to ask. When I was at propane supply company, the owner pulled the kit up on the website and asked me why was the green regulator used. I think that's it and it can be a problem. When UPS first started running LNG tractors, the first generation Kenworth tractors lines would freeze at the tank. I'd start losing power or shut down and have to pull over and chip the ice block away from the valve to get the flow back started. So that's a concern of mine, keeping the propane lines open in cold weather.

I checked the website and the kit says, for engines above 20hp so that could be another reason. MFI PGK-12 - MFI PGK-12 (Recommended for engines above 20HP) - Motorsnorkel by US Carburetion

·
Registered
53 Posts
is that teflon tape rated for LP?
looks like the cheap stuff for water.
pm me for the right sealers for those connections.
is should be harvey seal for lp and ng...
also i question why only one demand regulator on a Vtwin...
what is the engine size?
and what are the exact stamped numbers on the demand regulator?
Gold, my original plan was to get everything installed, tested and working in one day. The bracket we are using, I actually thought of that too but Home Depot didn't have the parts. My fence needed repair after Katrina, so I'm am familiar with fence parts. The bracket is actual for the top rail. I didn't see it at Home Depot either. Thanks Texas T for pointing me to Lowes for bracket.

With the plan to get this working in one day, I just grabbed the first tape I had. U.S Carb sent the proper pipe thread sealant with the kit but I misplaced it. Another thing I learned from a plumber after hurricane Katrina was to mix up some dish soap and water in a sprayer to leak test gas lines. After I got the kit installed, I sprayed the carb and all fittings to check for leaks. I didn't have any. However, I will heed your advice. I'm sure the propane supply company will have the proper sealant. I'll get some when I buy a larger tank at the end of next week.

Gold, the engine is 999cc. From my conversations, with U.S Carb, I believe this kit is based upon what is working from a similar sized Generac 17500 watt which off the top of my head I believe is 993cc.
5AD2B15A-B95C-4000-8B21-8F9221FED974.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks. Just lots of lightning and the power was back up in The morning,

I found US carb was very responsive as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new regulator will fix your problem and the next outage you will be sitting watching the storm with your frozen margarita

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Just for the record, any pipe sealant in a paste is acceptable. Do not use Teflon tape.

I was one of the first people to buy and install us carbs eu7000 kit and had a snorkel that was a bit bulky and didn’t fit well. They replaced it quickly and without and fuss or shipping charges.

Are you guys gapping your spark plugs correctly? It needs to be tight… 0.020 if using copper. Iridium is much better and I keep them tight to about 0.024.

Red regulators drop pressure to about 10psi. Green regulators then drop pressure to about 9-11“ water column. The KN has a maximum inlet pressure of about 15” WC.

The typical grill tank regulator that’s a silver color cannot supply the necessary volume of gas for a 999cc engine at a low pressure, so that would explain 2 stages of pressure regulation… high and low. If you buy a cheap amazon monometer you can measure and confirm adequate inlet pressure at the KN demand regulator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. Just lots of lightning and the power was back up in The morning,

I found US carb was very responsive as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new regulator will fix your problem and the next outage you will be sitting watching the storm with your frozen margarita

Texas T. You must be very close to my location @ Houston TX. We had lots of lightning last night. just wondering where are you at in Texas? maybe we can storm brain together over the those Margaritas ( I prefer Beer LOL) and help me with my Natural Gas conversion for my 27000 generator. If you are close to where live. I got my generator in April just before I got deployed to AZ and didn't have the chance to play with it till now. I'm looking to convert mine to natural Gas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ordered my kit yesterday and going with natural gas as that is available. Trying to figure out hose length based on 3/4 inch. Hoping to be able to use 10ft but the things I have read say that would support a 28 horsepower motor and I think this one may be 30 or in the low 30’s but that is my best guess. Looking forward to seeing your results
3/4 hose worked with your natural gas set-up? Did you stick with 10ft? I have to get a larger propane tank to retry. U.S carb seem to think a large part of my problem is trying to run an engine this size with a single 20 pound propane thank.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts