Power Equipment Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, it's all together but can't get it to start on propane. Never tried to "catch." Works fine on gasoline still. I'm not foolin with it any further. Likely something simple. The fine retired gentleman that works at the propane distributor and parts supply is an expert at this. He wanted me to bring it by even if I didn't need any help so he could see it and look it over. He knows the people at U.S Carburation as well. Once they get it running, I can pick out a new propane tank and get it filled while I'm there. He only works on Friday so I'll give him a heads up that I'll be there on Friday. I'll report back what the problem was.

Got that big spring back in right spot thanks to pics from Texas T and frequency is back right. It's running 62.5 frequency without any load. I hooked up my big miter saw to it and watched the frequency. Ran at 60.5Hz at least according to the display.
Did he get it running?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, so made my first attempt. Had to regap the plugs as they were sitting about .035 so now they are close to the .020 gap. Adjusted about 8 turns and it ran like a champ …. Until the gasoline that was left in the line ran out. Good news I didn’t break it bad news I could not feather in the nat gas. Second attempt after rechecking the soak gap, was able to run the generator but only by keeping the primer button depressed. No amount of adjusting to make it richer helped. I am running 2 psi up to the generator and then knock down to 8” WC.
Next step is to disassemble and check for any snorkel path restrictions in the carb.
I didn't get it running. I thought also to check the restriction on the snorkel but just have not. I'm still going to take it to propane shop because I suspect it's another issue they they will be able to quickly find. Last time I was there, I was asked what was up with the extra green regulator? U.S. Carb says that's not it but I may take it off and see. U.S. carb was to send me a more extensive trouble shooting guide via email but likely a mix up as to why I didn't get it. So far, they have been very responsive with good customer service, hence my lack of concern that this will be figured out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you do have the gasoline total shut off and ran the carb dry of gasoline right?
if not it will over fuel the gen for a no start.

press and hold the prime button on the demand reg a few times...
it may take total of 10-30 sec to purge the air the first time.

you can even do that with the hose off at the demand reg till it smells of lp...
on first connection...
you have to push all of the air out of the LP or NG hoses and feed lines...
i prefer to use female quick couplers on the hoses so it locks them full of LP or NG
then you can use a back to back male as a short coupler to join to the feed.

I wish the male side had a quick shut off ball built in like the female side for quick break style.
I guess you could put in a full port brass LP / NG ball valve inline on the males.
Gold, I'm pushing a natural gas powered big rig for UPS, 674 miles a day, 5 days a week! Man! I hate the switch to NG from diesel. UPS is already governed down to 68mph, but the long range LNG tractor is just a wimp on the hills. I pull double trailers which really bog it down. I don't have any more time to put into it. Still have a new PC to build and one of those America's Rifle #15 to finish now that my barrel and upper are shipping. Those guys at propane shop have an extensive array of parts and decades of knowledge that I'm sure I will find time saving. I was too tired to get it over there last week but it's on the agenda for the coming week.

I did switch my panel from main lug to main breaker. I ordered a G.E. 50 amp inlet box, interlock, and Hubble plugs. I am about to purchase some cable to build a cord. Any recommendations of which type of cord to use? This is my plan right now carol soow 4/4 (wireandsupply.com)

Oh, yes, I did trouble shoot the gen before I gave up.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
well the cng is good for the environment. (compressed natural gas)
the by product of combustion is mostly water..
so are you hourly on paid? or by the mile?
grin!
if you are by the hour paid what is the hurry?
grin!
but if you are a contractor by the mile... yea lack of speed kills your profits...
and yea you have a time from point to point in there too...
rough job for sure!

so on lp or ng for the gen set
you have 3 regulators in those systems
the first is to go from tank pressure (200psi) or main line street pressure (most are at 20 psi) down to 2 lbs.
second is to go from 2 lbs to 11-13 in wc (about 1/2 a psi)
and the last is the demand regulator right next to the engine.
suction from the engine trips the fuel to flow.
the other thing that works in to this is the btu rating on those regulators need to be matched for the appliance or gen set.
too large and precision flow is bumpy too small and the engine is starved for fuel.

so yea good pressure and flow meters are needed to make sure at all of the test points have proper pressure as well as flow in cfm.

a good engineering shop for the alt fuels will have this gear.
pm me if you need links for this test gear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well the cng is good for the environment. (compressed natural gas)
the by product of combustion is mostly water..
so are you hourly on paid? or by the mile?
grin!
if you are by the hour paid what is the hurry?
grin!
but if you are a contractor by the mile... yea lack of speed kills your profits...
and yea you have a time from point to point in there too...
rough job for sure!
I'm a UPS employee, not contractor. Paid by mile. I drive (LNG)Liquified Natural Gas. Though I am told we have some CNG, compressed natural gas, tractors that can run long range, none of the drivers I have encountered so far have one. UPS, hubs with natural gas are typically set-up for one or the other, CNG or LNG. Both suck for power. That's primarily why I am choosing propane over natural gas for a generator fuel. It's a pet peeve after being neutered all day on LNG. Propane is going to offer less power still than gasoline but it's still better than natural gas. I do confess that I don't miss the diesel fumes.

Gold, I don't have the time to trouble shoot this. When I built my new PC, it didn't work properly so I had to trouble shoot it. Turns out the new mother board, was defective. I have to rebuild it and hope that was indeed the case. I have too many projects, some I have not listed, and not enough time.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
is there a turbo on the truck?
yea they have the fuel turned down...
lol buy the shop guy his favorite scotch...
grin.
it might work!
darn epa is getting things too lean....
natural gas if done right is good fuel..
same on LP.
but it is tricky for cars and trucks...
you have to pre heat it just right before it goes BOOM!
same in intake air needs to be warm.

we do injection for the natural gas..
passes any epa with flying colors.
and as it is computer controlled it can be changed for operation conditions if the proper fuel map is done.

sorry to hear your contract is by the mile......
i bet there are fines for speed with ups as well now...
all that track and tell stuff on the new trucks...
these days by the hour works better with all the shortage of dock help.
unless you are drop and grab.
then you still have dot hours rules...
been there done that!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Think I found my problem. I blew into each of the two hoses and one of them had a free flow and the other was constrained/blocked. Was more evident with throttle open. Thought it was pinched so pulled the carb …. Again. Everything looked good so I removed the snorkel. One side was still obstructed when I blew into it. Pretty quick to check without talking carb off to see so may be worth a try for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
is there a turbo on the truck?
yea they have the fuel turned down...
lol buy the shop guy his favorite scotch...
grin.
it might work!

sorry to hear your contract is by the mile......
Ahhh, the good ole days. Can't get truck turned up now. It's all computer control and the company management monitors the diagnostics of the trucks. Mechanic turns up truck, get's fired.

Mileage pay at UPS is the better than hourly pay.

I see these Powerhorse 27000 watt gens have went up by $300. You can get them though. A lot of stuff is back ordered months, the standby stuff. I figured I had time after the ice storms to get a generator in place, but got caught a day without power after tornado damaged lines behind my subdivision. I got caught because I was foolin with his conversion kit.

Once I get it all set-up, I'll figure it out if someone else hasn't. You know during hurricane Katrina, they turned the natural gas off? Special case I know but I haven't forgotten. The recent cyber attack reminded me the conventional supply chains can get shut off. So a working tri-fuel conversion kit is a must for this big guzzler.

Since Texas T is having the same problems as I, I will call U.S. Carb tomorrow and mention the trouble shooting he did. I too, when I tested was able to crank it at 8 turns and hitting the primer, but it didn't stay running either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Think I found my problem. I blew into each of the two hoses and one of them had a free flow and the other was constrained/blocked. Was more evident with throttle open. Thought it was pinched so pulled the carb …. Again. Everything looked good so I removed the snorkel. One side was still obstructed when I blew into it. Pretty quick to check without talking carb off to see so may be worth a try for you.
So you have it running? Still 8 turns?

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, I did not want to attempt to clear anything in the snorkel or they could have questioned whether I had caused the damage. I have a message into their technical support now.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
it may need more turns in or out depending on your exact pressure in to the demand regulator...
i use a digital gauge for the pressure...
11-13 wc works the best.
and there is a port on the demand regulator for the gauge.

yea watch for kinking if the hoses to the snorkel!
BIG sweeping turns!

or use hard line for greater than 40 deg to 90 deg turns...
that hose does not like bends... it will collapse on you.
you can use that new bendable brake line to make hard sweeping line turns.
or go fancy with copper and freeze water inside to make it hold form during the forming.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I blew into each side. Both seem to have equal flow, no blockage. Contacted U.S. Carb to see if we can sort it out.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
check to see if the hoses are tight bends.
snap some pix for us!

·
Registered
53 Posts
check to see if the hoses are tight bends.
snap some pix for us!
No knicks. However got home today and red regulator near tank was leaking propane. Garage smelled of propane. 9867A94F-E489-4CBB-B309-93CC7A6400E9.jpeg Can’t even test now

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Can’t even test now
In that picture it looks like your load block is completely shut off? My flow adjustment bolt looks like this:

·
Registered
53 Posts
In that picture it looks like your load block is completely shut off? My flow adjustment bolt looks like
In that picture it looks like your load block is completely shut off? My flow adjustment bolt looks like this:
View attachment 9387
Ignore that. That's only in that picture. Trust me, that load block has been at just about ever possible position. This kit is untested. So far, I don't think anyone has gotten it to work. U.S Carb has only sold 2 or 3. If it's 2, then both guys are here and neither of us have gotten it to work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
US carb sent me a new snorkel in two days. Noticed the difference right away even in the stiffness of the main body and the straightness of the snorkel ends. Easy to blow through on both sides. Installed tonight, 8 turns and it is running well. Will do a load test tonight or tomorrow to fine tune it.
Hopefully the leak in the propane was your issue.
Couple of things that I dials that I found helpful. I installed the snorkel with the tips at the top of the carb. Not sure that the Choke will work but don’t care. I removed the Carberator and assembled off of the generator. This allowed me to open up the throttle to check the positioning. I had my wife help me hold the assemble together as I secured it to the generator. Keeping my fingers crossed for you my friend!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
is that teflon tape rated for LP?
looks like the cheap stuff for water.
pm me for the right sealers for those connections.
is should be harvey seal for lp and ng...
also i question why only one demand regulator on a Vtwin...
what is the engine size?
and what are the exact stamped numbers on the demand regulator?

·
Registered
23 Posts
One more thing, was looking at your pictures. Some regulators need to have the bellows facing up and in your picture it was facing down. Not sure but hey, easy enough to try.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Can’t even test now
What's the green item in front of the demand regulator? I only have a single pressure regulator at the tank before the demand regulator.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts