Power Equipment Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Usually their kits come with around 26” of hose on their single snorkel setups. They recommend using the least amount of hose necessary and not exceeding 26”.

How much hose we’re you supplied?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Usually their kits come with around 26” of hose on their single snorkel setups. They recommend using the least amount of hose necessary and not exceeding 26”.

Sounds about right. If you look at the end where the snorkel is, it's flat. I don't think it can take much bending without restricting flow. If mount the regulator, high above battery, you may be able to pull it off. Being this is my first attempt, I did not want to have the hose bend so much that it puts pressure on snorkel and stop flow. I kept the hoses as straight as possible and I wanted the regulator on the end like in the Generac 17500 installs. Generac carb.JPG

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
we divorce the demand regulator from the gen set...
they last longer without the vibration!

use quick couplers on the front panel or some where to keep it short.
mount the reg 45 to 90 deg of any panel or influence
for vibration...
that way the inside the demand regulator does not get trashed due to vibration.

keep the demand reg to the gen hose as short as you can...
this affects the response to load changes..

.we use 3./8 quick coupler for the small gens.
and 1/2 on the larger gens just for the coupler from the demand reg to the gen feed.

then use the silicone caps and plugs on the quick connectors when not connected or when on gasoline to keep trash out and to keep air bleed down.

it sure is handy to be able to fast disconnect when doing a service job!

we do some sort of wheel hold to make the gens sit on one place.
think cup or rectangle on the floor of the gen shed to stop rolling or vibration movement.
yes treated lumber for wood floor, welded angle aluminum for concrete floor and use concrete screws.

think fast any easy to move for service!

·
Registered
34 Posts

If you zip tie the hose off the snorkel, you can make a 180 turn and keep the pipe end of snorkle from deforming and mount regulator on side above battery. I’m still playing with this. Not in a rush. I should have been cause my power is out right now. 😅. Should be back soon.
I have throttle back working. Hope to have generator running this weekend on propane. Under outlet panel is though the straightest path. I likely will still mount there to keep hoses as straight as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you zip tie the hose off the snorkel, you can make a 180 turn and keep the pipe end of snorkle from deforming and mount regulator on side above battery. I’m still playing with this. Not in a rush. I should have been cause my power is out right now. 😅. Should be back soon.
I have throttle back working. Hope to have generator running this weekend on propane. Under outlet panel is though the straightest path. I likely will still mount there to keep hoses as straight as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just received my generator yesterday. Going to run it for a couple hours and then start the install of the us carb kit this weekend. Definitely a tough mounting application as the most logical place is smack in front of the control panel and in between two handles used to lift it which is another interference point. Hose length is about 26in on both hoses. Wondering if I could extend them slightly and mount to the top of the unit placing a cross brace as mounting bar. At first guess need about 6” more of line.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Just received my generator yesterday. Going to run it for a couple hours and then start the install of the us carb kit this weekend. Definitely a tough mounting application as the most logical place is smack in front of the control panel and in between two handles used to lift it which is another interference point. Hose length is about 26in on both hoses. Wondering if I could extend them slightly and mount to the top of the unit placing a cross brace as mounting bar. At first guess need about 6” more of line.
I wouldn’t add to the hose length. Do whatever you have to do to make the hoses work at the stock length.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah. Hence my ugly bracket. 12 inch 1/2 pipe, elbow, then 4.5 inch pipe, tee and then two 4.5 inch pipes on end of tee. I had to drill out the holes in the end bracket to get the U-bolts to fit and also tap them with my mallet to get them to fit holes. Hey one of you boys with the "fine engineering minds" can maybe come up with something more elegant?:) Just stuff I got out of pipe section at Home Depot. All I know is my "rig" will work for the location beneath the panel till I find something "purdy." IMG_1762.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you get started, take off control panel and then tank. Next I"d take off the black bracket that partially blocks the throttle/choke assembly. I had to remove that assembly to get four bolts out of carb. Could you please take some pics of the choke/ throttle assembly? I am not sure about the attachment of the big spring. I am usually better than this and take extensive pics before I disassemble. Got over-confident. I don't think I need that spring for throttle, only choke which you can no longer need but would like to have it attached properly. IMG_1755.jpg InkedIMG_1761 (1)_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Yeah. Hence my ugly bracket. 12 inch 1/2 pipe, elbow, then 4.5 inch pipe, tee and then two 4.5 inch pipes on end of tee. I had to drill out the holes in the end bracket to get the U-bolts to fit and also tap them with my mallet to get them to fit holes. Hey one of you boys with the "fine engineering minds" can maybe come up with something more elegant?:) Just stuff I got out of pipe section at Home Depot. All I know is my "rig" will work for the location beneath the panel till I find something "purdy." View attachment 9203
I can think of a couple options. Steel plate bolted to the brace under the engine. Or a steel bar running across the front of the engine. U-bolts or split ring hangers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can think of a couple options. Steel plate bolted to the brace under the engine. Or a steel bar running across the front of the engine. U-bolts or split ring hangers.
Ok, did not realize it at first glance but now i see you bracket does not interfere with the handle, smart design.

Yeah, would rather not extend the hose as the only thing creating the gas flow is the vacuum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wanted to use pipe hanger bracket but it was something I had to order. Also, the tubing is more like 1 inch or 1.25 inch.
My plan was to be done same day and maybe modify later. The bigger pipe is much heavier and gen is already heavy. The trick is use the smallest size pipe and yet be able to mount to the larger tubing of gen.

Also, the pipe hanger bracket is designed to not fit the pipe but be larger than the pipe as to accommodate a range of pipe sizes for hanging. It’s 1.5 inches wide, which is larger than tubing. You will have to thicken the frame to use it. That was another reason, I didn't order it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Turns out I found a local company that has all the parts I need. They also have a guy that does generator conversions. If I have any problems with my process, just bring gen by and they will figure it out. Great older gentlemen with a tremendous amount of knowledge . I probably would have just purchased kit and let them do it had I known. Anyone who does not want to do this themselves, should call local propane supply and parts companies and ask. I’ll finish tomorrow and see what I get. Does not work, I’ll drop it off to those guys. I am however confident I can get it working. Hard parts done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turns out I found a local company that has all the parts I need. They also have a guy that does generator conversions. If I have any problems with my process, just bring gen by and they will figure it out. Great older gentlemen with a tremendous amount of knowledge . I probably would have just purchased kit and let them do it had I known. Anyone who does not want to do this themselves, should call local propane supply and parts companies and ask. I’ll finish tomorrow and see what I get. Does not work, I’ll drop it off to those guys. I am however confident I can get it working. Hard parts done.
Food for thought. Purchased 2 tees for fence post from Lowe’s and 2ft of 1 1/4 in outside diameter pipe. I got the pipe from a local shop but they sell aluminum pipe in this diameter on Amazon as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
How ever you mount it, be thoughtful of having adequate space between the regulator and the front covers air intake. It’s critical for engine cooling, and it’s a BIG engine.

I like the clamp, nice secure way to attach to the frame.

This angle says alot. I’m leaning toward a plate mounted the the brace under the frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Food for thought. Purchased 2 tees for fence post from Lowe’s and 2ft of 1 1/4 in outside diameter pipe. I got the pipe from a local shop but they sell aluminum pipe in this diameter on Amazon as well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BRACE-RAIL-CLMP-1-3-8-INX1-3-8-IN/1002858880
How ever you mount it, be thoughtful of having adequate space between the regulator and the front covers air intake. It’s critical for engine cooling, and it’s a BIG engine.

I like the clamp, nice secure way to attach to the frame.

This angle says alot. I’m leaning toward a plate mounted the the brace under the frame.
View attachment 9229
Good guidance. I am going to set it up and see. I think I have enough space between the bars and the intake but will monitor it. I could always put a stand-off on the mounting holes to give it some additional space. Let me know if/when you do the plate.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts