Power Equipment Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
yup they are a beast!
think concrete block gen shack steel door , clad with steel, insulated and spray the inside with bed liner material with a gen stack going up.
that is what it takes to tame the v twin noise...
they are LOUD!
almost as bad as a harley with pipes!
lol!

·
Registered
34 Posts
yup they are a beast!
think concrete block gen shack steel door , clad with steel, insulated and spray the inside with bed liner material with a gen stack going up.
that is what it takes to tame the v twin noise...
they are LOUD!
almost as bad as a harley with pipes!
lol!
Now you tell me!:LOL::LOL: . To build a shed to quiet this thing. I am going to have to use Green Glue Home . First I'd build a frame of the shed that would have to have double walls. The inside wall would be doubled plywood with the Green Glue in-between and screwed to frame. I'd put fiberglass insulation inside between inner and outer wall, standard house construction of exterior walls. The outside layer of plywood would be again doubled plywood and screwed into frame. You could also use doubled drywall for the inside wall, quicker and easier to cut than plywood. If you really want it quiet, after you have your frame and outside wall up, put some mass loaded vinyl over the fiberglass, then put up your double layer inner wall with the green glue in-between 1 LB Noise Grabber™ Brand MLV 54" x 2' | Order 1 LB Noise Grabber™ Brand MLV 54" x 2' Online

·
Registered
34 Posts
783073DC-9052-490C-ACCC-CE9C18677991.jpeg C0AE752F-8A75-4B0C-A5E0-254DBD301263.jpeg 5E51332B-F76D-42F2-9F74-71A9774F2F08.jpeg
Congratulations!!

FYI - I spoke to a person at US Carb as they did not have this generator listed on their site and they sent me this kit number (below) . There was some confusion in the email communications so I was a bit hesitant which is why I was asking.

MSK3016 - MOTOR SNORKEL TRI-FUEL (Natural Gas, Propane, and Gasoline) Conversion Kit - Motorsnorkel by US Carburetion
You have to take control panel off to remove tank. 8mm socket for both. Then you have to remove a cover to get to carburetor, looks like 10mm cause 8 was too small and 11 too big. I’m stopping for today. The control panel and tank are very easy to remove.

I don’t know the shape of the carburetor so don’t know if kit will fit. I’ll have to take it a loose and see.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
also look at the concrete board stuff they use for under layment on tile!
that stuff is fire proof!
pm me if you need links to what i am talking about.
2nd best choice for concrete block bunker...

built it so it will not walk off...
grin!
some have even used rings in the concrete floor so they can chain lock it down
or bolt it down.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got a really loud Yanmar diesel generator and a really quite Honda gasoline generator.

I don't mind running either one during storm outages despite the obvious noise difference. In fact, the loud diesel is my first-call option, and only if I need more does the quite Honda come out.

Even though the Yanmar diesel is loud, it is only used during storm outages. It never occurs to me that the extra noise is a problem. Really, it's not, unless you let it be. If it were a problem, I'd just turn up the volume on the two satellite TVs that are blasting away night and day around here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations!!

FYI - I spoke to a person at US Carb as they did not have this generator listed on their site and they sent me this kit number (below) . There was some confusion in the email communications so I was a bit hesitant which is why I was asking.

MSK3016 - MOTOR SNORKEL TRI-FUEL (Natural Gas, Propane, and Gasoline) Conversion Kit - Motorsnorkel by US Carburetion
I've been looking at that kit. I have few close ups of snorkel from their ebay pics on a Generac Powerhorse 27000 (2).JPG powerhorse snorkel..JPG Generac carb.JPG . If you look at the diagram from the owner's manual of the Powerhorse 99932 , the carburator is the same type as on the Generac that this kit fits. It's a four bolt carb. Will the gasket/snorkel work? Hmmm, we will have to see. I'll call them tomorrow. I'll see if they can fabricate it if the one in the kit does not work if they were provided a carb from a Powerhorse 99932. May not even need the carb, just those gaskets parts 85,86;87 to see. Pic in diagram shows four bolt pattern just like Generac. The pics are from the EBay pics of Motorsnokel from that kit on a Generac.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking forward to see how the conversion goes.
I spoke with U.S carburation. Lady I spoke with pulled the info for the model. She says they have done 3 so far and the kit works. I ordered the Motorsnorkel kit and 12 feet of house as well as some parts to use a large propane tank. Something about a high pressure regulator?, on tank and a low pressure one at generator to keep line from freezing. Kit should ship tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered my kit yesterday and going with natural gas as that is available. Trying to figure out hose length based on 3/4 inch. Hoping to be able to use 10ft but the things I have read say that would support a 28 horsepower motor and I think this one may be 30 or in the low 30’s but that is my best guess. Looking forward to seeing your results

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
do the math by the HP of the engine for the hose and pipe.
and remember the rules on fittings for reducing flow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
do the math by the HP of the engine for the hose and pipe.
and remember the rules on fittings for reducing flow.
Would be nice. Unfortunately they no longer supply horsepower rating for the motor and since HP is dependent upon multiple factors, I am left comparing this generator with close equivalents and extrapolating …

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Would be nice. Unfortunately they no longer supply horsepower rating for the motor and since HP is dependent upon multiple factors, I am left comparing this generator with close equivalents and extrapolating …
There is a sae rating for small engines, but powerhouse does not list the number. As far as extrapolating goes, I get between 300-320cfh (300,000-320,000btu) on the safe side.

The good news is that generac and kohler standby units have 999cc engines too and have listed fuel requirements In their installation manuals.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
let me know if you need honda engine specs.
pm me.
they are on the service groups site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ordered my kit yesterday and going with natural gas as that is available. Trying to figure out hose length based on 3/4 inch. Hoping to be able to use 10ft but the things I have read say that would support a 28 horsepower motor and I think this one may be 30 or in the low 30’s but that is my best guess. Looking forward to seeing your results
I have the kit on. IMG_1721.jpg IMG_1722.jpg IMG_1724.jpg IMG_1726.jpg IMG_1727.jpg
Burned out for today. Have to springs to put back on throttle and then put cover over carb, fuel tank, and control panel back on. I'm tired and forgot to take pics of the springs on the throttle. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I'm fresh. The two springs on throttle are last thing. The way the pipes on the kit sweep, you almost have to put regulator on the side by the control panel. However there is no were to really mount it. I bought some pipes and home depot to rig something. I'll spray paint them black if it works. Don't see why it won't. IMG_1728.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cool man, it’s coming together. Why the pipes though?
The side with outlets doesn’t have a place to mount the regulator. I couldn’t think of a a better idea? With some generators you can mount to frame but this generator has handles to each side and the electrical panel mounted across top. The frame is open there with no tubing. You can’t mount regulator to electrical panel. So I’m creating a place to mount regulator. If you mount to opposite side, you don’t have enough fuel line and it would twist line and block fuel. Guess you could mount to side? But if you look where I have pipes, fuel line from carburetor are straight and dropped right there.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Personally I would fab up a bracket to mount the regulator next to the battery.

Do you plan to run the generator in an enclosure or out in the open? More to consider if your planning an enclosure for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally I would fab up a bracket to mount the regulator next to the battery.
You’d just need more fuel line than comes with kit to be able to make a long turn to keep from bending line and creating a block in it. The generator is so loud that an enclosure is a must.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts