Power Equipment Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bet it is something real simple. Should be easy to diagnose. It is a sad commentary on the whole generator industry that the new buyer having to diagnose issues such as these is almost a given, and tolerated by the buying public. Without action or intent by the industry to make it otherwise. Nothing better than learning how to work on your new generator...before it gets old and messy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bet it is something real simple. Should be easy to diagnose. It is a sad commentary on the whole generator industry that the new buyer having to diagnose issues such as these is almost a given, and tolerated by the buying public. Without action or intent by the industry to make it otherwise. Nothing better than learning how to work on your new generator...before it gets old and messy!
It just pisses me off that I have to trouble shoot a brand new never use Gen !

·
Registered
987 Posts
so it’s not getting fuel for some reason
So, there's like three possibilities for not getting fuel in a brand-new generator:
  1. Clogged Fuel Screen or Fuel Line
  2. Fuel Valve Turned Off
  3. Stuck Float/Needle Valve

• Check the Fuel Valve again. Open and close it a few times.
  • Open the drain on the carb bowl. If fuel doesn't flow out with the fuel valve open, it's one of the other two issues.
  • Take off the bowl and check the float operation.

Once you've got fuel flowing, to start the engine (from the manual):
  1. Disconnect all loads to the generator.
  2. Turn the FUEL SWITCH to the ON position.
  3. For cold engine, pull CHOKE knob out to the full choke position. To restart a warm engine, push the CHOKE knob to the half choke position or to the RUN position.
  4. Start the engine

·
Registered
353 Posts
It just pisses me off that I have to trouble shoot a brand new never use Gen !
Check the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor. You should hear it click when you turn the key on.
It needs a full 12V to operate. Could your battery be weak enough to supply enough to not allow the solenoid to operate while starting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can a natural gas conversion be done on this? If so, how? Looks like they have them in stock. I just bought an 11000 watt Powerhorse and it looks like good quality. Mine started right up and runs very smoothly. I just want a bigger one .Generac is also a choice and I see the conversion kits for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like DR which is a Generac company has a similar unit:

Although if the specs ar correct it is over 200lbs lighter.
Funny thing is that it's 200lbs lighter but is a bigger generator. Generac is so back-ordered. I ordered this power horse and it should be here in about 10 days. Northern tool said 100 days for Generac. How big of a natural gas line would I need if I convert it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I emailed Matt an PNGtechnologies for a tri-fuel conversion kit. He needs this model generator to build the kit. I'm not aware of any companies that yet offer a natural gas and propane conversion kit for this generator. Anyone in Michigan might want to work with Matt to get a custom kit made. I'm still exploring options. Generator is back ordered but Northern Tool says it should ship next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the rear where the exhaust is? I am planning on building a small enclosure for this beast and would like to know what the exhaust outlet looks like. Mine is not scheduled to be in store ready for pick-up until the end-ish of March.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seems like one of the pictures above shows the muffler, but that picture seems to have been taken while the plastic shipping cover was still on. The muffler appears to have two holes; maybe one for each cylinder to create a dual exhaust of sorts :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems like one of the pictures above shows the muffler, but that picture seems to have been taken while the plastic shipping cover was still on. The muffler appears to have two holes; maybe one for each cylinder to create a dual exhaust of sorts :)
My bad for asking. When I initially looked at the post, I wasn't a member yet, no that I am registered, I can see the photos. It does look like it has dual outlets. Cool!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the rear where the exhaust is? I am planning on building a small enclosure for this beast and would like to know what the exhaust outlet looks like. Mine is not scheduled to be in store ready for pick-up until the end-ish of March.
I sent Zombie Box a pic of the rear to see what they can do. The dual mufflers I think need some special consideration. Building something, I'm sure can be done for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I emailed Matt an PNGtechnologies for a tri-fuel conversion kit. He needs this model generator to build the kit. I'm not aware of any companies that yet offer a natural gas and propane conversion kit for this generator. Anyone in Michigan might want to work with Matt to get a custom kit made. I'm still exploring options. Generator is back ordered but Northern Tool says it should ship next week.
Were you able to get your hands on a conversion kit? Looking to purchase the Powerhorse 18000/27000 but really need natural gas as a fuel source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were you able to get your hands on a conversion kit? Looking to purchase the Powerhorse 18000/27000 but really need natural gas as a fuel source.
I was waiting to get it before I pursued the conversion further. It came in today 61D802DD-2019-4B42-A1A8-2C5BAD06E55C.jpeg A2E3115C-8B28-4D0E-B145-60423452F61B.jpeg .

I can’t tinker with it till Friday. I want to crank it and make sure it runs fine. Then I’ll figure out how to convert it. It just came in. Took 2 months. I was using rope to tie it down when I got an alert from your response. It was backordered for a month and then took another month to get to store. I believe shipping is much faster if you ship to home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations!!

FYI - I spoke to a person at US Carb as they did not have this generator listed on their site and they sent me this kit number (below) . There was some confusion in the email communications so I was a bit hesitant which is why I was asking.

MSK3016 - MOTOR SNORKEL TRI-FUEL (Natural Gas, Propane, and Gasoline) Conversion Kit - Motorsnorkel by US Carburetion
Hmmm. Well it's about the right size considering that's the kit that is for the Generac 17500 watt generator which is about the same power as this generator. I'll call and aske too.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts