Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another BIG portable Jina gen
Powerhorse Generator with Electric Start — 27,000 Surge Watts, 18,000 Rated Watts

check out the front panel main breaker!! 75 amps.
no outlet for that much power on the generator.. but they have an 50 amp rv outlet on the panel as well as a bunch of twist locks..
some stores have free pickup on this...
be ready for a large crate!!
Ship Weight 683.4 lbs
there is a manual down load,
looks to be a V twin jina motor at 999CC
might be a good one to convert to natural gas or lp!
you could run a lot of stuff on 18 kw... for $3000.00 usd..
wish they had an inverter version!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bet the engine can actually handle the output ratings but not with the hardware it sports.
18 KW requires 36 HP and that engine produces 37 [email protected] rpm.
I think the hardware will not handle the posted ratings of 75 amps and the claim of 111 amps inrush.
My 16 KW can produce 65 amps and is breakered for 65.
It is NG or Propane powered.
The wire I used is rated for 65 amps, but I breakered it down stream for 60 amps.
Now as to appointments, no enclosure.
Generac offers a 16 KW with enclosure for $3600 shipped to your home from Generators Direct with no taxes.
Taxes in NC is 7%
That unit bought from Northern Tool in NC is: $3200.00+ and picked up at the local store without enclosure.
Add to that a conversion to NG or propane and you are in a pickle.
No remote start either.
It is a gasoline unit. I would not like to feed it for a long night's run.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an email in to them
and just got off the phone with cs.
they think maybe 22 to 26 hp on the engine...
but they are going to check with the guys in jina on the real hp spec..
yea another jina engine..
but it does have a spin oil filter...
I need to get one in the lab and test it on the load bank!!
18 kw is a lot for that small of 999 cc engine!!

the Gillette gens are only 12kw with the honda twin...
I think they are a true 10kw at least that is what they ran on the load bank here...
there are 2 of those on the crews.
they use them for seam sealers on comercial firestone roofing.
they are ok power... but I would not plug any good electronics in on it...
some hash...

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I would think 999cc is enough to make its rated 18kw. The generac 22kw standbys use a 999cc engine. Either way, thats a thirsty son of a gun. 14-15kw on natural gas with a 50amp inlet wouldn't be too shabby. Plenty of surge capacity for running central air.

This powerhorse inverter gen looks promising, not 18kw but parallelable to something close...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for a chonda it looks ok.
the question for me is 420cc not the 390cc
soo
parts??
and wow on the fuel consumption..
way more than honda..
hummmm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone I just joined the Forum and I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the Powerhorse 27,000. Has anyone bought this model ?

Best regards

·
Registered
26 Posts
THD would be my biggest concern, but don't V-Twins typically do a good job with THD compared to other engines?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
They claim less then 5% THD in the product description.

I don’t know anyone with that behemoth but considering it’s back ordered it looks popular.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know where the I can find their homepage at . I’ve been looking and I can’t seem to find it anywhere ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a question about outlet covers for generators .Since the Powerhorse 27K doesn’t come with them for some unknown reason ,can I just use any brand of rubber outlet cover used on generators,they all look the same ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Outlet covers are a relatively recent affectation. The only one of my generators that has outlet covers is my 2017 PowerMate. Since you shouldn't run a generator out in bad weather without some form of cover, a generator tent or purpose-built generator house is the way to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Outlet covers are a relatively recent affectation. The only one of my generators that has outlet covers is my 2017 PowerMate. Since you shouldn't run a generator out in bad weather without some form of cover, a generator tent or purpose-built generator house is the way to go.

View attachment 8047
If you don’t mind me asking which model she’d is that gen sitting in ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking which model she’d is that gen sitting in ?
That's a SunCast BMS2500 shed with some added features:
  1. PowerMate PM0126000 6000/7500W Generator - panel faces left, exhaust faces bottom of exhaust fan on right.
  2. U.S. Carburetion MSK3101 Tri-fuel regulator with quick connect mounted on back side of generator. The primary regulator & hose can be run out a hole in the intake side for hot weather use, or on the exhaust side for cold weather use where the exhaust air keeps the tank at a moderately warm temp.
  3. The generator legs sit in two rubber cups screwed into the floor joist so the generator can't move.
  4. 16" 1,200CFM iLiving ILG8SF16V Exhaust Fan on the right side.
  5. 17" 5NKN4 Dayton gravity operated inlet shutter on the left side.
  6. 8 Gauge pigtail on upper left side going to Hubbell HBL2710AR L14-30R receptacle.
  7. 60' 8 Gauge GenerLink cable stored on hose reel on left. Mounts on side of garage to the left.
  8. Red L14-30P to 4x 20A 120V outlets stored on back wall for non-GenerLink use.
  9. Thermal remote monitor mounted (out of frame) above center on rear wall, and a second one mounted outside on the propane tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's a SunCast BMS2500 shed with some added features:
  1. PowerMate PM0126000 6000/7500W Generator - panel faces left, exhaust faces bottom of exhaust fan on right.
  2. U.S. Carburetion MSK3101 Tri-fuel regulator with quick connect mounted on back side of generator. The primary regulator & hose can be run out a hole in the intake side for hot weather use, or on the exhaust side for cold weather use where the exhaust air keeps the tank at a moderately warm temp.
  3. The generator legs sit in two rubber cups screwed into the floor joist so the generator can't move.
  4. 16" 1,736CFM iLiving ILG8SF16V Exhaust Fan on the right side.
  5. 17" 5NKN4 Dayton gravity operated inlet shutter on the left side.
  6. 8 Gauge pigtail on upper left side going to Hubbell HBL2710AR L14-30R receptacle.
  7. 60' 8 Gauge GenerLink cable stored on hose reel on left. Mounts on side of garage to the left.
  8. Red L14-30P to 4x 20A 120V outlets stored on back wall for non-GenerLink use.
  9. Thermal remote monitor mounted (out of frame) above center on rear wall, and a second one mounted outside on the propane tank.
Wow nice thanks for the information I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another BIG portable Jina gen
Powerhorse Generator with Electric Start — 27,000 Surge Watts, 18,000 Rated Watts

check out the front panel main breaker!! 75 amps.
no outlet for that much power on the generator.. but they have an 50 amp rv outlet on the panel as well as a bunch of twist locks..
some stores have free pickup on this...
be ready for a large crate!!
Ship Weight 683.4 lbs
there is a manual down load,
looks to be a V twin jina motor at 999CC
might be a good one to convert to natural gas or lp!
you could run a lot of stuff on 18 kw... for $3000.00 usd..
wish they had an inverter version!!
they say they will be back in stock mid late nov 2020 at northern tool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the Powerhorse 27K gen . I have no idea when it will be delivered most likely November. I guess we'll wait and see !

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup some stuff is arriving early!!
i just got tracking numbers on the first batch of hondas tonight.
lol
they are on a slow boat from Jina!!
GRIN!!
the heck of it is i bet it will see the port by friday of this week.
unless there is a port issue in cali with the covid shut downs..
we have had them on order from June 2020.

the hold up was production over seas.
looks like the shippers are right on the ball!!
i bet we are looking at mid oct after the cross country trip.
and the 2 week quarantine hold at the customs port.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my experience, Northern is bad about not keeping parts on the books. I've got a 12 year old $2k air compressor that needs a rebuild but no parts (I started looking 5 years ago). Rings blow by so bad I've got to change the oil 3x's a year due to water contamination and PSV pops on every shut-off. My only option is to run it til it blows up then adapt a different compressor to it...

Russ

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup most brands give up on parts after 10 years.
an air compressor can easy be updated to a new unit.
or take it to a good speed shop they can re sleeve the cyl bore.

depending on how bad the bore is they might be able to re hone and new rings.
it all depends on how pricey the compressor was new!!

if it was a low cost compressor under 3000.00
just replace it.
not worth the shop time to rework it.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts