Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a powermate 5000 model 54-5222 and would like to know if it is able to run a 2 stage air compressor 220 volt

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is the rating on the motor of the compressor? That will determine if you can run it or not. Once you know the watt rating of the motor, or the horsepower, you can do some rough calculations as to running current. This is not the entire picture though because motors have a much higher amp draw on startup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@ Joe: 0ne Horsepower = 746 watts. Do the math when you know the HP of the compressor. However; starting the compressor under a load will add starting amps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IME, "maybe." Depending on what you're doing, might be a lot of starts which will stress a small genset. You can be creative with a "soft start" kit which will help some. I think gensets in this size are primarily intended for back up power for a residence, your application sounds more like industrial or steady state use. Good luck,

·
Registered
798 Posts
i am going to say no..
you need at least 7,200 watts at 240 vac...
and maybe depending on the gen set
you might be looking at a 11-14 kw gen to get it to run right...
some of those larger gens will start one.
we use a gillette gen that is 12kw. on one of the construction sites. it rolls over the 5 hp quincy we have ok.

question for you
what is the breaker size on the compressor?
is it a 25 amp or 30 amp at the 240 vac?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts