Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a New Power-King model PK0311 Kinetic log splitter and have about 10 hours on it. I noticed that the splitting handle shuttered occasionally when I engaged it to start the ram forward. It is a bit painful on the hand. It was occurring about every 20th split but now is frequent and the handle shutters, with a grinding sound almost every time I try to engage the ram. Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong and how to fix it?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
yea take it back.. exchange or return.
gears are not hard enough.
they are slower but the hyd units take more abuse.
the hyd is the buffer on the power...

on the kinetic units the gears take the brunt of the abuse.
it takes hardox or tools steel material to stand up to the power shock.
and even then they have a short life.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
see the video link below setup and operation.
the trip handle and main gear assy needs to be designed to not stay engaged and break away with extreme over load.
they warn on the hold the actuator handle after call to run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem. Just exchanged it, and now everything is okay. This Power-King is good overall (despite the defective unit). Prior to it, I've tested about five models, and all of them were mediocre. Once I even damage my siding (don't ask me how - I still can't figure it out). Thankfully, guys from the siding service fixed it. But my next log splitter will be of custom-made hardened steel. Such a wedge will serve for many years and will easily split even sturdy wood. Of course, the cost will be twice as much, but a moderate price is not a priority for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts