Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this old Poulan for years and have maintained it over that time. Changed fuel line/ filters 3 yrs ago. Starting it up this year (new fuel) and it kept flooding but eventually got it running. Problem is that if I let off the throttle just a little from max, it wants to stall. When running, it revs to the max and cuts like a champ. I had noticed that when I opened the gas cap, some sprayed out a bit. Figured the vent in cap was blocked and tried to clean it out with a drill bit. No joy, so I bought a new one. Same problem continues. Im pretty sure that my problem is related to this pressure issue but not sure where to look next. Any help/ ideas gratefully accepted....john

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That have a primer bulb? Sounds like you connected the hoses wrong when you replaced them.
I do have a primer bulb. Thought I hooked it up correctly but who knows at this stage of the game so Ill check it again. Someone else mentioned blown head gasket as the only other reason to have pressure in the tank. I had my finger over the plug hole and felt compression, but I'll recheck the fuel line routing first. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do have a primer bulb. Thought I hooked it up correctly but who knows at this stage of the game so Ill check it again. Someone else mentioned blown head gasket as the only other reason to have pressure in the tank. I had my finger over the plug hole and felt compression, but I'll recheck the fuel line routing first. Thanks for the idea.
The misconception is that primers PUSH fuel into the carb. They PULL fuel into the carb and back into the tank. I have NEVER seen a blown head gasket on any chainsaw and that wouldn't do what you are describing anyhow.
Check your lines, retune the carb properly and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Primer bulb does get gas in it. Are you saying that it matters which way the 2 primer bulb lines are attached or are you saying I might have the primer bulb line connected to the wrong carb inlet and vice versa?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Primer bulb does get gas in it. Are you saying that it matters which way the 2 primer bulb lines are attached or are you saying I might have the primer bulb line connected to the wrong carb inlet and vice versa?
Yes I'm saying you mixed up the hoses to the wrong inlet. The primer has a check valve in it. So at full throttle it's able to pull through the check valve at idle will **** the bed.
Figure out which side of the primer is the suction side.
So from the tank goes to carb. Out of carb to primer, out of primer return this tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I'm saying you mixed up the hoses to the wrong inlet. The primer has a check valve in it. So at full throttle it's able to pull through the check valve at idle will **** the bed.
So from the tank goes to carb. Out of carb to primer, out of primer return this tank.
Gotcha. I'll check it out tomorrow..john

·
Registered
234 Posts
On the carb, can you tell me if the inlet with the black cap type fitting on it is where the line from the tank with the filter should go? Thanks.
Yes that is the carb inlet.
So the line with the filter connects to the black plastic inlet.
The primer suction goes to the other nipple on the carb under the black one.
Then from the primer back to the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have your diagram and they seem ok, but I am just going to pull them all out and put on some new ones that I had leftover . Had a problem fitting the filter on one of the lines. It seems the lines are 2 different sizes. In any event, I will start over and adhere to the diagram. Fingers crossed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts