Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing some mid-range generators looking to see what features some have on the market and came across this DuroMax unit.

3850w running
4850w starting
gasoline and propane
electric start
switchable voltage - 120v only (higher amperage) or dual 120/240 on the L14-30 twist-lock

That is a LOT packed in to this class generator. I have heard DuroMax questioned on the forums before. I am not sure what to think of their quality myself, but Champion also gets discussed a lot and has quite a following. I would at least think DuroMax is a decent quality unit, but still Chinese made like Champion. Maybe others on here with more experience with them can chime in.

If a manufacturer could come out with a quality inverter that matches the features on this one I think that would be a really hard to beat generator. It seems once you go inverter in this range you loose 240v. It appears those units are marketed to the RV crowd - where they want electric start and higher amperage 120v. They pass up the split phase 240v on all those units.

·
Registered
475 Posts
FWIW I just bought a Champion, nothing against DuroMax, just going by comments here and elsewhere on Champion service and support. I believe they're both Chinese Generators so "probably" comparable in quality. What I did was call Champion customer service with some "loaded" questions on the exact model I was interested in. The person answering the call was very knowledgeable, not reading from a script, not using...broken English... and was all over my questions. Not only answering them but amplifying and explaining. So, I got the Champion. Haven't even unpacked and assembled yet due to other stuff going on. If I were you, I'd call DuroMax and see what kind of impression you get. Sitting in the dark and trying to get customer service for parts wouldn't be fun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were you, I'd call DuroMax and see what kind of impression you get. Sitting in the dark and trying to get customer service for parts wouldn't be fun.
Just browsing features right now, maybe down the road I can get something. I have a gap between 2600 watts and 15,000 watts and am looking at the options. If you divide 15,000 by 2 you are in the ~7-7.5kw range which would be right where some of the "large" inverters are like the Powerhorse 7500 and Honda EU7000. Especially the EU7000, its way out of the budget. Though, I've run the "house" on the 2600w - it is a split phase 120/240 unit, and until the 15kw came along was the only one I had that was. It can run the essentials. However, I'd like to have some more head room on the wattage so if I got up around the 4-5kw range that might work, even though that is well under 1/2 the 15kw. I can't imagine needing THAT much more power than the 2600w for more comfortable head room on the basics. Just the jump from the 2600w to a ~4kw would make the difference of being able to run a microwave with the basics powered, for example. Thats a big jump.

As to the support and parts - parts and a service manual would be what I would want. As to service guidance from them - chances are I wouldn't go to the manufacturer for that guidance anyway. If I ran in to a problem I'd work on diagnosing myself and go from there - thus the service manual. The forums are great for troubleshooting/repair assistance also. There are other ways than the "dealing with the manufacturer" bottled shenanigans. But the warranty... When it comes to power equipment my warranty is my head, hands, and tools. When things go down I'm going to dig in to it. A warranty is useless in that. Especially from a vendor/manufacturer that doesn't have a brick and mortar building down the street from me where I can't get to it and have to send things back and forth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts