Power Equipment Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm an Industrial Designer in Michigan and I want to help tie the disconnect between home generator users and generator manufacturers to ensure future generators address the issues current ones don't. I have a couple questions to help me better understand people's experiences with their generators, both good and bad. If you haven't gotten around to buying a new generator because non of the ones in the market fit your needs, or you bought one and are not satisfied, feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, and complaints below, so I can help push for those changes to be made. Also feel free to answer my questions, thank you in advance!

1) How does the idea of having a backup generator make you feel?

2) What is the worst power outage you have been in and what emotions come to mind when you remember that event?

3) Was this or any other power outage you’ve been in a result of a natural disaster? If so, what products made the biggest difference easing your overall experience?

4) Which other assets did you wish you had at the time to be better prepared for the event?

5) Did you know that more people tend to die from the carbon monoxide emitted by backup generators than the natural disaster itself? Would this knowledge influence your decision to buy a generator in the future?

6) If you could source the generator’s energy from anything other than fossil fuels, what would it be and why?

7) With a growing clean energy home battery backup industry, would you still consider gasoline, diesel, and natural gas backup generators as a viable solution to power outages, and why?

8) What functional and design elements do you appreciate the most about your generator?

9) What elements don’t you like about your generator?

10) If you were given the opportunity to design and engineer the new most innovative portable home generator, what features would it have, and would you consider making it more environmentally friendly?

·
Registered
638 Posts
There's a serious market for a 10,800 running watt (45A running & 50A surge) 240V inverter Honda-powered multi-fuel generator. All power companies should be required to allow Generlink meter-mounted transfer switches.

·
Registered
222 Posts
1. Having had back up generators for 35 years, it is a necessity.
2. Two weeks after a tornado hit my farm and the community. You cannot explain how devastating it was.
3. That was only once for a natural disaster, but downed trees have happened caused many.
4. None needed.
5. Most sensible people know about carbon monoxide.
6. No other source for me.
7. NG, it is available and cheap.
8. Automatic start.
9. @ 3600 rpm it is too noisy.
10. Honda should go back to making water cooled generators and in a larger KW.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hey, I'm an Industrial Designer in Michigan and I want to help tie the disconnect between home generator users and generator manufacturers to ensure future generators address the issues current ones don't. I have a couple questions to help me better understand people's experiences with their generators, both good and bad. If you haven't gotten around to buying a new generator because non of the ones in the market fit your needs, or you bought one and are not satisfied, feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, and complaints below, so I can help push for those changes to be made. Also feel free to answer my questions, thank you in advance!

1) How does the idea of having a backup generator make you feel?

2) What is the worst power outage you have been in and what emotions come to mind when you remember that event?

3) Was this or any other power outage you’ve been in a result of a natural disaster? If so, what products made the biggest difference easing your overall experience?

4) Which other assets did you wish you had at the time to be better prepared for the event?

5) Did you know that more people tend to die from the carbon monoxide emitted by backup generators than the natural disaster itself? Would this knowledge influence your decision to buy a generator in the future?

6) If you could source the generator’s energy from anything other than fossil fuels, what would it be and why?

7) With a growing clean energy home battery backup industry, would you still consider gasoline, diesel, and natural gas backup generators as a viable solution to power outages, and why?

8) What functional and design elements do you appreciate the most about your generator?

9) What elements don’t you like about your generator?

10) If you were given the opportunity to design and engineer the new most innovative portable home generator, what features would it have, and would you consider making it more environmentally friendly?
so dan who do you work for?
we need to know where our data is going!

i would sit back and read a few years of posts first on this forum..
lots of knowledge here.
and some real school of hard knocks experience!

from what i have seen in just the last 2 years.....

the gen mfg companies are just in it for the profits!
cheaper and cheaper quality.
making gens for 200 bucks and selling them to end user for a grand!
it should be criminal!

direct to retail would be the best advice i could give the gen mfg's for year 2025!
that way they have factory trained folks doing the selling as well as all of the support!

we need gen systems that will easy integrate with all other forms of power.
one inverter with multi input sources would be where i would start.
that way you could have power storage integrated with wind, solar, hydro, as well as generator for the system back up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so dan who do you work for?
we need to know where our data is going!

i would sit back and read a few years of posts first on this forum..
lots of knowledge here.
and some real school of hard knocks experience!

from what i have seen in just the last 2 years.....

the gen mfg companies are just in it for the profits!
cheaper and cheaper quality.
making gens for 200 bucks and selling them to end user for a grand!
it should be criminal!

direct to retail would be the best advice i could give the gen mfg's for year 2025!
that way they have factory trained folks doing the selling as well as all of the support!

we need gen systems that will easy integrate with all other forms of power.
one inverter with multi input sources would be where i would start.
that way you could have power storage integrated with wind, solar, hydro, as well as generator for the system back up.
Im currently a junior in industrial design and my college partnered with Generac so we can help them bring some innovation back into the generator industry. I feel that the most valuable research is learning from the users past and current experiences, both good and bad, so we as designers can push to make those changes and add those features you guys know are most needed from your exposure with the generators. Basically just tell me what you guys want to see in future generators and I'll design a product that satisfies those needs to show the company what they need to put out in the market ASAP. All opinions help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So Generac partner you asked for it:
Generac is too big for it's britches, meaning they think they have the entire generator market cornered.
Yet, the market is now thinking for themselves.
Many owners have useless Generac's sitting that will just not perform.
Generac has made the workings of their product absolutely untouchable by anyone but one of their dealers.
Programming is only done with a specialized computer program that is not available to outsiders.
That in its self is being to self centered and greedy especially when most dealers are greedy and offer little in return for their enormous charges.
Then the parts are not available to the public market.
I had to junk a 11 year old Generac 14 KW due to parts availability. How many other Generac's are sitting idle because of parts that just are not made available to the owners.
I for one will find another brand and advise my friends not to buy Generac.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Generac partner you asked for it:
Generac is too big for it's britches, meaning they think they have the entire generator market cornered.
Yet, the market is now thinking for themselves.
Many owners have useless Generac's sitting that will just not perform.
Generac has made the workings of their product absolutely untouchable by anyone but one of their dealers.
Programming is only done with a specialized computer program that is not available to outsiders.
That in its self is being to self centered and greedy especially when most dealers are greedy and offer little in return for their enormous charges.
Then the parts are not available to the public market.
I had to junk a 11 year old Generac 14 KW due to parts availability. How many other Generac's are sitting idle because of parts that just are not made available to the owners.
I for one will find another brand and advise my friends not to buy Generac.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me, I will definitely take it into account in my design, maybe through modular components or simply a much friendlier interface and part availability for DIY users. I can only do so much as far as corporate practices go, but I will do my best to plant the seed in their vision.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Im currently a junior in industrial design and my college partnered with Generac so we can help them bring some innovation back into the generator industry. I feel that the most valuable research is learning from the users past and current experiences, both good and bad, so we as designers can push to make those changes and add those features you guys know are most needed from your exposure with the generators. Basically just tell me what you guys want to see in future generators and I'll design a product that satisfies those needs to show the company what they need to put out in the market ASAP. All opinions help.
soooo
why is genewreck not hosting the q and a??
they can just use the data from the feedback on the site they own?
something is not adding up here..
are they so out of touch that they have to use free collage help to get the work done for them???

danger danger!

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
No company bashing.
The OP asked generator related questions on a generator related forum. He did not ask for personal information. He did not post spam or offsite links. He is not required to reveal who he is, or who he is working for.
Next time, no warnings will be issued.
Thread closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.