Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidently left a generator on for a very long time. In fact I forgot about it and came back two weeks later and found it off. I tried starting it back up again and it died after a few seconds. Any ideas of what might be wrong? Did id toast the engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s a westinghouse wgen9500df running on propane with 8500w max, but there was no load on it except a little plug in fan. It’s air cooled, and takes 10-30w oil.
I don’t know how many hours it was until it shut off but I checked it I think like 10 days later or so. So could be somewhere before 240hours. I don’t have the serial number but can get that for you later today if still needed. Here’s a link to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Q1DLKBG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

·
Super Moderator
179 Posts
It's not likely that you have toasted the engine.

Have you checked the fuel level in your propane tank, and it's not empty or low (or iced up?)
A generator running with no load can often burn some engine oil. I'm sure that generator has a low oil level and/or low oil pressure shutdown. Have you checked your oil level?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Propane level is good but I didn’t check the oil. I’ll do that later today and let you know. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
speedy, it depends how big your propane tank is. i got a 250gallon one, thats why it was able to run for so long.

motormonkey, just checked the oil, it was pretty low! just added some oil and seems to be running okay now.
thank you for your help! grateful for the knowledge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is your problem.

Oil Level sensor doing its job.

Have you read the Operator/Owners Manual? I bet is on the troubleshooting section or the features description section. ;)

Just to give me an idea, on 250Lbs Propane. By your experience, how big is the engine, Power Output and Load. How long does it last on continous run? I am asking because I want to do the same thing and want to know if 250 lbs will do the trick for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted a link to the generator along with some spec info in post #4 of this thread. Clearly the tank lasts longer than the oil. How long are you hoping to be able to run a generator? I don’t think you will have problems 😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts