Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help with Tips and downloading a Manual, Murray Select Ridding Mower.

1. Please share tips you know of related to this model or general for a beginner on a ridding mower.

2. A downloaded manual would be most helpful in up-keeps, sharpening and basic adjustments.

3. The owner is saying he has not found a manual to download. Do you know of one that will download?

4. Info engraved on the back has him questioning it being “A Recondition Mower”. What’s your opinion?

5. What year model is the MFG # dictating? What info is the Mod # dictating, which is hard to find? I must say this is my first 11HP Briggs to notice.

6. Would this small mower tow a 14’ Aluminum Boat, 70s 40 HP Eng & Trailer on a flat yard w/o damages?
Thanks In Advance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Towing would be a plus vs a need in the deep back yard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a lot of Murray specific information, here. Any question will usually be answered promptly by some folks who know these macines very well. Your mower will do a good job, but it's limited by it's transmission as to how much it can tow. I would not try to move a boat with it. Especially if there are any hills. The brakes aren't very big and the trans might give out on the hills going up them. That's a good motor.

MurrayOwnersWorld.com • Index page

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pythons37! The message-board should lead to any future needs. Again, the boat towing was a thought vs a need as working the leaves from 7 Oak trees.

I noticed a system of the mower working leaves. Could you or someone comment on if the sys to collect leaves is worth the investment (above cutting grass)?

Thanks In Advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In spite of marketing people selling equipment as being able to do almost anything, short of splitting the atom, I think asking this mower to do too much will make everyone unhappy. The leaf/grass collection bagging system will probably not give satisfactory results with this mower. As it sits, it is set up for mulching. Make sure there is a sharp mulching blade on it. Be patient. You might have to go over the same ground twice to get the area chopped up the way you want it to look. The tube and bags will make you feel like you are driving a bus. I would mow and mulch, including the oak leaves. A better investment might be a big lawn sweeper, which would hook on the back, to be pulled, and you can sweep up a lot of the debris after you have mulched it. Some of them will fold up and not take up much space when not being used.

Part of lawn care, I think, is the whole process. You want as pleasant an experience as possible while you are doing the work. I've never used a bagger. There are a lot of them for sale, because they sometimes don't work as well as the operator thought they would. I just ride around in circles until all the leaves are chopped up. I've got a lot of trees around my house and a 200 year old cemetary directly upwind of me that has about 25 100 year old maples shedding into my yard every year. I just ride around until everything is confetti size. My method is not for everyone.

Bottom line to this ramble: Don't get a bagger. Get a sweeper.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks pythons37! As most 37 yr Experience Yard Keepers, he has a plan that works for him as yours. He likes the job his Stihl Blower does blowing the leaves and acorns out of his St Augustine grass into rows or designated locations. He will always be a bagger of the mulched grass and leaves into Bags and Multiple 96-Gallons City Recycle Yard Carts.

Over the years, he has also used 1-2 Billy Goat Vacuums. He’s a Dedicated Yard Keeper vs My Mulching And Moving On!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts