Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying g to decide on which generac to purchase.
Anyone have an opinion on the 26k vs 24 vs 22.
I can get by with the 22, but the larger ones seem to use less ng at half load.
Is the 26 to new to even have an opinion yet ?

· Registered
520 Posts

· Registered
520 Posts
So, are you saying that an air-cooled unit is not treated like the water-cooled units when it comes to parts?
What I was trying to get at is that their quality of design is lacking.

· Registered
165 Posts
I had a 22kw ... lasted 2000 hours or thereabouts, which for me was about 2 years. Because I'm rural, and off-grid, I couldn't count on local service. Generac is definitely an "authorized service dealer" brand, meaning, you want one of these ASD's (the actual service guy) to be your next-door neighbor.

I had to go the self-supporting route, install it myself, and do all the required maintenance tasks. What I found was that it ran great, but when something goes wrong, it was very hard to troubleshoot, and replacement parts are expensive. We don't get access to the super-secret field service manual. So, it ended up not being the wise choice for me, or my kind of rural site.

If you are in-town, will only use it in true standby mode (a few hours/days per year) and near an ASD, then you'll want to:

1. have the ASD install it; Generac is very picky about the installation, and if they can wriggle out of the warranty with noise about "improper installation", they will. If the ASD installs it, you should be golden. NG might need some rework, to meet Generac's standards for a clean install, but the ASD should've covered all that with you, in something like a site survey.

2. get on the 7-year warranty wagon, details in the docs. replacements parts can get up there in price; my 22kw probably needs a stator/rotor, and without labor, this still approached $2000. without the field service manual, I can't tell if it's a $100 part, or a $2000 set of parts that are needed.

3. be religious about working with the ASD to do things by the book, and pay for the service calls; generac tracks everything, and might wiggle out of warranty work if something isn't done right. Usually, the ASD does this for you, but stay on top of it and them. These folks are your friend:

https:// www.zillerstore.com/generac-air-cooled-generators-705132

Don't know what you mean about storing the previous generac ... are you hanging onto it as a spare/fallback? I have plans to ebay my 22kw for parts, just unsure if I'm parting it out, or having it picked up in its entirety only. Also have a spare (new in box) evolution controller for it. If I part it out, I hope to use the enclosure as a home for the westinghouse wgen9500df, somehow.

For my rural scenario, where no ASD really wants to go (for that matter, any kind of service tech), I only use Duromax & now Westinghouse gens, and am still self-supporting on everything. It's just much easier now, and a whole lot less expense ...

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes ASD is doing everything, gas and all.
I installed my first one, but with the new tech i will let them do it. I don't know about the yearly maintenance service, that's pretty pricey. And they don't paY for parts if they find something wrong... I need to revisit the doc and make sure I'm reading it correctly. Seems like it was 1year 369. 2years 490, 3 years 934 5 years 1290.
Will perform the following services: Change engine oil Change engine oil filter Check valves (adjust if needed) Inspect air filter (replace if needed) Inspect spark plugs (replace if needed) Inspect fuel system Inspect exhaust system Inspect enclosure and insure all openings are un obstructed Check battery (terminations, connections and water level) Check all connections (electrical and mechanical) Check operation of battery charging equipment Simulate temporary loss of power from utility company and observe proper operation (generator start, power transfer and shutdown). Check generator voltage and Hz (adjust if needed) This Service Agreement does not warrant parts or labor – It allows for maintenance of the unit (generator and transfer switch)

· Registered
165 Posts
Not familiar with "service agreements", as I did the maintenance myself, but parts (and usually labor) would be covered by your 7-year warranty with Generac (not the service contract with ASD), once that gets established (just by going online and giving your unit s/n, customer info, & such; don't know if ASD would do it for you, but it is real simple).

I probably wouldn't pay for the service contract myself, as you can probably do the usual oil/spark/filter changes, but at the right hour marks per the manual, you might want to pay the ASD tech to do the bigger tasks (valve adjustment, etc.), just so it is on record. Generac wouldn't be able to blame some failure on you, as the ASD tech did the key service tasks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts