Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already asked this over on the SmokStak Onan forum, but thought I'd post it here in case there's an Onan guru lurking...

Model 2.8KV-FA/26100A MicroLite
Serial L890 287869

I need to replace my brushes and service the sliprings on my MicroLite next spring. It is out on Vinalhaven Island and I'm trying to prepare everything I'll need in advance. In the service manual, it shows a "Special Tool" for holding the fan hub assembly while removing the rotor through bolt in Figure 8-4. I'm planning to make my own plate to hold in a large pair of ChannelLock pliers as shown in the second attachment. Does anyone know the dimensions/positions of the holes on the "Special Tool"?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
you tab can make that tool. or see the page at the bottom
there are some lower cost units now.
I like the new jegs unit! that bang for the bucks thing..
refresh your browser page every visit at that page changes several time a day.

you can make the tool
cut out of flat tool steel on a flame table or use a plasma cutter.

or do a yoke tool for rear diff work.
the latter is what we use here. kent moore tools has a nice one.
i think we gave 600 bucks for the one we have...
but we use it for rebuilding rear diffs...
cool tool to have in a larger shop.
click here for the test tools page at the bottom of the page is the yoke and flywheel holder tools

·
Registered
281 Posts
So Tabora, I saw your post on Smokstak.
Did the posts there help?
Iowagold's idea seems feasible.
Instead of the two holes, maybe milled slots to allow adjustment.
You get the measurements and I would be willing to use my buddy's machine shop to make it.
There might be a more simple way to make the holder.
One piece of 3/4" square stock with two tabs welded to it that allow the holes to align.
Thickness of the bolt tabs would needed to be decided before machining.
1/4, 3/8, 1/2" ?
I have not forgotten my machinist training from the old days and I am willing to help.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
if you have an electric impact most of the time you can break them loose with out the holder..
just make sure of the direction before you hit the switch on the impact!!
some are reverse some are forward threads..
you can always use a strap wrench on small flywheels for the re torque...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You get the measurements and I would be willing to use my buddy's machine shop to make it.
I actually have a pretty extensive machine shop... 3 lathes, two milling machines, drill presses, metal brakes, arbor presses, gas & MIG welders, etc. What I don't have are the measurements and thus the posts here and on the Stak. The generator is on an island and I won't be there again until the day next spring when I need to do the work.

I appreciate that people are trying to be inventive, but I was hoping someone out there had the "Special Tool" and could just give me the measurements. Failing that, I'll simply drill a hole in the center that's larger than the 3/8" socket the rotor bolt requires and then mill a couple of slots. Don't really need to reinvent the wheel! ;)

Or, plan B:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
there you go!
plan b!!
or use a good pipe strap wrench.
we use the good ridgid strap wrench for small flywheels..
after all the touque is a low number for the small engine flywheel nut.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yep! I went to bed thinking how easy it would be to drill the three holes in a piece of flat stock and make the holder.
And a note about the machine shop equipment: I too had a welding and machine shop.
A 19" Springfield lathe, A 36" shear, 4' brake, A new hydraulic iron worker, large drill press,
fork lifts, 3 welders in a 40 x 70' building. Add to that, a complete storm window shop.
I was nearly killed on a tractor in my late 50's. So I closed shop and retired.
I miss it though. I still have an old Buffalo drill press.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
cool good luck on the project!
and take the good tool kit along with the good torque wrench!
lol!
get all the way out there with out the good torque wrench makes for a long day on the road!
GRIN!
and you cannot get enough tools!
or too many tools!
lol
I try to have full backup tool sets...
nice for when good wrenches break!
I snapped a boxed craftsman on friday.
easy to exchange it too!
glad i had good welding gloves on!
it saved my hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts