Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Onan Cummins Home Stand-by Generator Model 20GSBB-6714. I believe the Engine Oil Heater needs replacement. The power circuit for the current heater is 120VAC and currently draws 0.7 ampere current. I have the circuit on a Ground Fault Interrupter Circuit (GFCI) Breaker rated 20 ampere. The GFCI has been tripping OFF in a short time upon energizing circuit. I can not find any information on a replacement part number from Cummins, nor can I find any pictures of the heater. I think that this may be a screw-in block heater, but not sure. Can anyone advise if the tripping OFF is due to the GFCI Breaker or does the circuit need a standard breaker? Does anyone have any information to provide me. I am in need of the part # and where to purchase OEM part. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Has the breaker been tripping since the generator was installed or is it a new problem?
I could not find a part number for the heater on the net but I did find this schematic.
It looks as if you have three heaters on this model. It could be any of the three that may be causing the problem. There is a 5 AMP fuse in the circuit, the GFIC breaker should not trip unless there is a fault.
Try disconnecting all of the heaters and see if the GFIC trips.
If not connect one heater at a time to see which one trips the breaker.
Also, GFIC breakers do fail. It could be a wiring issue between the breaker and the generator as well. Check for loose connections at the breaker and generator.
Heater.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, "Old man here". Thank you for your response. I will check for the three heaters this coming weekend. The GFCI Breaker just recently started tripping. Load is minimal at 0.7 ampere.
When connected new 8 years ago there was no problem. I will investigate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my experience, most GFCI breaker trips are due to a loose wire connection or breaker on the way out. If the breaker is actually working and doing it's job, then further troubleshooting will be needed. Check the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Browse Deweb, Thank you for your response. If I knew what the actual KW rating of the heater(s) or their amperage draw, that would help. The math shows that the heater is: 120 volts X .7 amps = 84 watts. Easy stuff first.....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello Browse Deweb, Thank you for your response. If I knew what the actual KW rating of the heater(s) or their amperage draw, that would help. The math shows that the heater is: 120 volts X .7 amps = 84 watts. Easy stuff first.....
See the 5 AMP fuse in the diagram above, I would think that would blow before the 20 AMP breaker would trip.
My wife wears out at least one CFCI outlet every year with her curling iron and hair dryer.:rolleyes:
As Browse Deweb stated, It could be a faulty breaker or loose connection as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts