Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a 65 cc saw i bought in 1976 new, great saw, no trouble ever. i was doing some light cutting and it just stopped like a wire broke. i am getting spark. carb is full of gas, good fresh avgas i use in all small engines i own. it seems to have less compression than it used to but not sure. any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
first idea is pull the spark plug and do a compression check preferably with a gauge to get an accurate idea of what is going on . while the plug is out for the compression check really look at the spark pattern is it consistent or intermittent ? depending on what coil that saw has certain coils were susceptible to cracking and letting moisture in if you notice any cracks in the coil housing use a little epoxy to seal them also if it has points clean and gap the points . what gas oil ratio are you running in it ? i normally run them a touch rich on oil but not overly rich just need a little smoke from the exhaust if your smoking up the whole yard its too much and may have clogged the carb or fouled the plug .
On the subject of oil what kind are you using ? Ive done a lot of research on 2 stroke oils and even done my own tests over the course of a 3 year period . I have found that 2stroke marine oils work best they offer excellent lubrication and blend very easily with the gas . in new easily replaced cheap equipment i run standard 2 stroke oil because its cheap but my older hard to find parts stuff that i collect and use just once in a while i run only marine grade synthetic 2 stroke oil .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts