Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Troubleshooting a no spark on my EU7000is Honda generator. The secondary ignition coil reads high at 16K ohms, so I purchased a new one and low and behold it reads the same. Put it on and no spark. Manual states secondary coil should ohm between 5.6-6.9 K ohms. Is that range correct, did I get a faulty ignition coil?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Troubleshooting a no spark on my EU7000is Honda generator. The secondary ignition coil reads high at 16K ohms, so I purchased a new one and low and behold it reads the same. Put it on and no spark. Manual states secondary coil should ohm between 5.6-6.9 K ohms. Is that range correct, did I get a faulty ignition coil?
Maybe these will help. The second one says a bad inverter unit will cause a no spark issue as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've seen both of those. Want to make I've exhausted all other potential causes before I purchase a new inverter. They are $$$.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, I've seen both of those. Want to make I've exhausted all other potential causes before I purchase a new inverter. They are $$$.
Pull the inverter out and try to start it. There was another post on here where a guy could not pull start his generator, different brand, smaller unit. Once he removed the inverter unit it was easy to start and ran fine. Once he reinstalled the inverter he had the same problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here is the post I was referring to:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The low oil sensor is good. It is not shorted out. Also pulled out the inverter and unplugged the lower right hand wire harness as in the video and did not start or pull easier. It does seem to pull hard with the pull start rope. Will try to remove all plugs on inverter and try again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The low oil sensor is good. It is not shorted out. Also pulled out the inverter and unplugged the lower right hand wire harness as in the video and did not start or pull easier. It does seem to pull hard with the pull start rope. Will try to remove all plugs on inverter and try again.
Good idea as long as you are this far along. With the inverter completely disconnected you will be 100% sure that is not the $$$$ issue.
You may also want to check the valve lash while you are troubleshooting. That will not have anything to do with the "no spark issue" but it could cause the hard pull.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
the large wire plugs on the inverter are the ones in question on the eu7000i genset.

make sure you are trying to start the gen set with out a load.
these do pull real hard!!
you need to be a real HE man to role it over with the rope!

make sure to have a good battery charger for the onboard battery.
and a real good battery!
the fuel needs to be at 1/3 tank or more for the electric fuel pump to work right..

yea check the valve lash!
they can be off even as new.
we always check them on all new gens of any brand, and reset the valve lash every 500 to 1000 hours of run time.

pull the spark plug and dis connect the big wires on the inverter.
it should role over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the large wire plugs on the inverter are the ones in question on the eu7000i genset.

make sure you are trying to start the gen set with out a load.
these do pull real hard!!
you need to be a real HE man to role it over with the rope!

make sure to have a good battery charger for the onboard battery.
and a real good battery!
the fuel needs to be at 1/3 tank or more for the electric fuel pump to work right..

yea check the valve lash!
they can be off even as new.
we always check them on all new gens of any brand, and reset the valve lash every 500 to 1000 hours of run time.

pull the spark plug and dis connect the big wires on the inverter.
it should role over.
I'm having the same problem with mine I cant start mine I'm not getting any spark what should I take apart first to see what I need to change I don't have a battery I always pull started it for yrs and now it's not doing anything when I pull it can someone help

·
Registered
375 Posts
You can also temporarily connect the leads to a known good car battery using jumper cables just to verify that the battery is the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Verify your oil level Isn’t low, there’s a low oil shut off. If it’s good, the next move is testing the coil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts