Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I picked up a craftsman 3200 washer for the house from Lowe’s. It was discounted because someone brought it back; needed carb cleaned. First time, just ran a quick test and it seemed to do fine. Went to use it last week and had two issues, possibly related. First, no water came out at all. The unit didn’t have a hose or gun with it, so I bought those new. Second, water spews sometime from an aluminum looking fitting underneath the unit that’s part of the whole assembly where the hoses attach. I can’t figure out what that’s supposed to do, let alone if it’s working. Can anyone please shed any light on this?

·
Registered
549 Posts
...Second, water spews sometime from an aluminum looking fitting underneath the unit that’s part of the whole assembly where the hoses attach...
1. Which exact model "Craftsman 3200" is it? There are quite a few models that meet those criteria.
2. The periodic spewing is likely the thermal relief valve. If the motor runs more than a couple of minutes without spraying, the water in the pump gets VERY hot and the valve is there to prevent damage to the pump.
3. Have you downloaded the manual for it? They're all online as PDFs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dont even try to figure it out. BRING IT BACK. Those cheap pumps are not worth your time and aggravation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lowes is actually pretty good on these things but regardless it should still have a warranty through whom ever Craftsman handles there business now. But again your going to have to go back to the store either way and find out.i would not attempt to fix yourself. They will probably have the shop replace the entire pump

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to try calling craftsman tomorrow; store said that after 30 days I had to contact Mfg directly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My preference would be to repair, or have repaired. Remember I said I got it at a discount (course, discount isn’t worth much of it won’t work)? It didn’t have a hose or nozzle

·
Registered
549 Posts
1. Most states have an Implied Warranty law (check your state's AG web site). In Maine, for example, it extends for 4 years from the date of purchase: Office of the Maine AG: Consumer Protection: Consumer Law Guide Both the retailer and the manufacturer are held liable.
2. I have that exact same unit. Briggs & Stratton (Murray/Craftsman) Honda-Powered...
It's assembled by and serviced through Briggs & Stratton. They were great helping me with an issue with mine. Here's your manual: http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/011675207359_use.pdf?_gl=1*1s3ob59*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE1OTM4Mjg5OTEuRUFJYUlRb2JDaE1Jc3JfenZzT3k2Z0lWNXdpSUNSMTZvdzVnRUFRWUFTQUJFZ0thX3ZEX0J3RQ..*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE1OTM4Mjg5OTEuRUFJYUlRb2JDaE1Jc3JfenZzT3k2Z0lWNXdpSUNSMTZvdzVnRUFRWUFTQUJFZ0thX3ZEX0J3RQ..
The minimal troubleshooting is on page 18.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I hook no output hose to the washer, should water come out? I doesn't look like a pressure fitting that would shut off without a hose, but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If I hook no output hose to the washer, should water come out? I doesn't look like a pressure fitting that would shut off without a hose, but wasn't sure.
If you do that, you've already blown the operating instructions... Read EVERY line of the instruction manual from the beginning, and every time you use it, start again on Page 7 of the manual with Lubrication of the O-Rings (assuming you've already prepped the engine for proper operation with oil, etc.). It is VERY easy to destroy the water pump on a pressure washer by skipping steps in proper startup and shutdown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts