Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled upon this forum as I am in the market for a portable generator. I'm new to generators but I figure with all that's going on, it wouldn't be a bad idea to own one for the essentials like a fridge.

We do go camping a few times a year so would like to have the ability to bring as well.

Few questions,
  • what brands do I stay away from, based on experience, not what you've read?
  • in CA there's a company called Pulsar which seems to have a nice valued generator and was wondering if anyone had experience with it?
  • thinking about dual fuel to be able to use propane over gas. Propane to be able to sit for longer periods of time.
  • lastly, what's a suggested amount of watts I should consider? Is 4000 overkill and only need 2000?
Thanks in advanced everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Stumbled upon this forum as I am in the market for a portable generator. I'm new to generators but I figure with all that's going on, it wouldn't be a bad idea to own one for the essentials like a fridge.

We do go camping a few times a year so would like to have the ability to bring as well.

Few questions,
  • what brands do I stay away from, based on experience, not what you've read?
  • in CA there's a company called Pulsar which seems to have a nice valued generator and was wondering if anyone had experience with it?
  • thinking about dual fuel to be able to use propane over gas. Propane to be able to sit for longer periods of time.
  • lastly, what's a suggested amount of watts I should consider? Is 4000 overkill and only need 2000?
Thanks in advanced everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
first things first welcome to the pef!
the BIG first question for you what is your generator budget?

yes on the LP generator! fuel storage time is unlimited as long as you can keep the tank high and dry. they can rust from the outside in.

for me... well I am a honda generator fan and have been for years.
the new late model inverter generator offerings work well.

if you are looking for a carry style generator look at the eu2200i there are tri fuel kits out on the market for them as well
I use up to 4 of them in parallel to get extra power when needed.
custom inlet built just for the honda generators.
see this site below for custom ideas.
click here for the honda generator pages
as well as this page for the custom inlet
click here for the generator inlet and meter page pix and parts lists

the cool thing with the honda eu series generators you can start small and with a bit of planning you can add on to the generator system.

for me for winter power I only need 1000 watts so a eu2200i works perfect
summer is more power demand with air conditioner season.
so I can plug in up to 4 of the generators to get up to 8,800 starting watts and 7,200 watts at rated power at 125 vac
most of the time I can get by with 2 generators to run the house power and one larger 15k ac unit.

I started small with one generator then buy parts when they are on sale till I get enough parts to build and start on the system. a bit at a time till it has evolved in to the cool system I have today.

the latest in the last couple of years I have up graded to the new eu2200i generators with tri fuel and now run on natural gas as my primary fuel.
but I have the option for fuel as gasoline or LP as well.

look at the honda inverter generators bang for the buck they are the best in class.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Hard to make a size suggestion without knowing your power requirements. Are you looking for something small to hand just a few critical loads with extension cords or something more extensive.

Are you effected by California’s system of shutting power down during windstorms to prevent more wildfires?

Is your home on natural gas/propane or electric for your big appliances (furnace/boiler, water heater, oven range...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts