Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thanks for allowing me to join your forum. I have been affected by the wildfires in Oregon. We lost power earlier in the week so when it didn't immediately come back on I started and hooked up my 1970's Coleman Powermate. It ran fine for about a day and a half and then stopped producing power. I'll inquire about suggestions on what to look for when repairing this generator in another post.

Since the COVID-19 hit in March my wife and I have been working from home on systems set up by our employers. During the last outage we did not run the computers due to the dirty power of the old Coleman. Even before the Powermate died I was considering the purchase of an inverter generator for the clean power they provide.

On to my questions...I do not understand how connecting two generators up together works when the output is a 30a 110 RV plug. How do they combine two hot legs into one without causing a problem?

I am more interested on what happens when connecting two 110 generators to a 50 amp receptacle. Is this only for powering up both sides of a panel? I don't see how they can be combined to make a true 220 without some coordinated effort to time the phasing of each leg.

Thanks again,
Blane

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
they do not make 240 vac out of a 120 vac gen...
unless you are using fancy gear.

if you need 240 vac you need a 240 vac gen system.

most home gear eg computers, lights, furnace. etc only need 120 vac.
there are several ways to connect a 120 vac gen to a system.
click here for the generator connection page

now with parallel systems.
only inverter gens allow this.
you need to stick with same model and brand of gens for the parallel to work right.

i use 4) eu2200i generators on my system here.
with proper cabling and proper wiring I can scale up of down for my demand.

in the winter time I can get by with one generator and have power to spare!

so do a site survey... find out what you need for power.
and plan your power.

switch over to led lights,
use smart power strips.

find a way to live almost amish during a power outage event.
think bare bones power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts