Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 6,000w (7,500 surge) gas PowerStroke via transfer switch that powers 75% of my house which has been punching above its weight for the past 8 year. ~300 hours and counting at the moment (Northeast). Planning ahead, two scenarios:

1. Direct replacement: I want ultra reliable and I also have natural gas line closeby, fyi (I also have a diesel vehicle, so I store a little of that)

2. Larger unit: to power 1 central A/C compressor, washer, dryer, dishwasher, oven, so looking at ~15kw.

Other than monthly runs, I only require it 1-2x / year, but when I do, it runs a week continuously.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just posted pretty much the same thing so you may want to check my thread out also when people start to ad comments as Im going to monitor yours as well.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
natural gas is cool.
i switched over this year as tri fuel.
and natural gas is my primary fuel now.

diesel is ok as you know.. lots of energy per gallon.
but the diesel bug is now an issue where i am here in iowa as they now blend bio diesel in all of the diesel.
that trashes injectors and injector pumps too..
pricy repair.
and can destroy your stash of fuel.

back to the natural gas...
as long as they do not shut off your natural gas you are set.
I am lucky as i am 25 miles from the main pipe line pumping station..
and not much for earth quakes here yet...
just the little below 3.0 shakes.

yea thinking about all of the others in the hard hit areas!
y3k is here for sure!

stay safe out there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. How long do you think these powerstoke gens (newer version of coleman I think) last? New oil every 100 hrs or 1yr and I run it 45min every ~3 mo.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Those honda clone engines last a long time as long as proper maintenance is performed.

I've found that honda clones tend to have more metal particles in the oil when compared to true hondas at similar oil change intervals. I've also noticed that valve adjustments are needed more frequently on the clone engines.

I feel with low cost generators you'll sooner end up with an alternator failure then an engine failure. The alternators IF even available are expensive enough to validate simply buying a new generator.

If I had natural gas I would have personally went with a standby generator.

$8000-$10000 for the generator installed plus $75-$100 a day in fuel costs per day when running for a 16kw-20kw generator. Is it something that makes sense for you? Most people that have natural gas availible have gas appliances which reduce electrical needs dramatically. The need for a standby unit comes down to wanting Air Conditioning and Automatic operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts