Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on the forum had any experience with the (fairly new) Champion hybrids? Specifically interested if the sine wave is fairly uniform and if the noise level is materially different from a conventional generator? I have read the specs but looking for real life experience.

I do have an EU6500i for my primary residence backup but need a second for a vacation home and don't want to spend the money for an EU700i at this point in time.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Champion Power Equipment 100519 6250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator. Very clean sine wave. I'm very satisficed with the clean power it puts out.
This is the 2nd Champion I have owned. Sold the first one with my 5th wheel trailer. That generator had hundreds of hours on it, not one issue during my ownership.
I agree about the Hondas, way overpriced.
I paid less than $1000.00 for the new Champion.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
stick with the honda...
way better unit.
upgrade the home unit to the eu7000is and do the 6500 for the vac home?
place the 7000is at the place where you will use it most..
they are way better on fuel with the new fuel injection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Champion Power Equipment 100519 6250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator. Very clean sine wave. I'm very satisficed with the clean power it puts out.
Have you done a decibel reading on it? How loud is it compared to a regular generator at its different (inverter) levels?

·
Registered
66 Posts
No I haven't. I will say that it is pretty quiet in eco mode with light loads.
When loaded up though, it sounds more like a regular generator, maybe a little quieter than my old 3500W Champion.
I will say that you hardly hear it from inside the house.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
build a gen shack for it, and use a gen stack for the exhaust.
nothing worse than a drone of a gen set if you have no power...

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's quite a DIY project for someone like me. I would need plans. :)

The only commercial one I can find is the Zombie-box and it's cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the 2nd Champion I have owned. Sold the first one with my 5th wheel trailer. That generator had hundreds of hours on it, not one issue during my ownership.
I agree about the Hondas, way overpriced.
I paid less than $1000.00 for the new Champion.
Thank you for sharing your experience

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stick with the honda...
way better unit.
upgrade the home unit to the eu7000is and do the 6500 for the vac home?
place the 7000is at the place where you will use it most..
they are way better on fuel with the new fuel injection.
[/QUOTE]
Paul, I agree that the eu7000is is the gold standard. You are preaching to the choir in that regard. As indicated in my original post, I was an early adopter with the purchase of an eu6500i in 2012. It is a terrific machine. However, the Honda is approximately 4x the price of the Champion inverter. In the eight or so years I have owned my eu6500i, I have logged a total of 75 hours on the meter. About, 50 of those hours were periodic test runs. I assume you are mainly seeing these units used for commercial/mission critical applications. In those applications I get it. Top quality is paramount. But in my case, I am looking for "good", not "great". I jcan't justify purchasing a Bentley if I can make do with a Camry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Paul, I agree that the eu7000is is the gold standard. You are preaching to the choir in that regard. As indicated in my original post, I was an early adopter with the purchase of an eu6500i in 2012. It is a terrific machine. However, the Honda is approximately 4x the price of the Champion inverter. In the eight or so years I have owned my eu6500i, I have logged a total of 75 hours on the meter. About, 50 of those hours were periodic test runs. I assume you are mainly seeing these units used for commercial/mission critical applications. In those applications I get it. Top quality is paramount. But in my case, I am looking for "good", not "great". I jcan't justify purchasing a Bentley if I can make do with a Camry.
[/QUOTE]
I have the same opinion as you jack, no need to pay four times the price for a generator that will only used occasionally. Also the Champion has a three year warrantee, same as the Honda.
Most of the reviews online on Champion generators are very positive.
Hondas have issues as well as other mechanical equipment. If you have to repair the Champion after the warrantee, it will cost much less than a Honda for parts.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's quite a DIY project for someone like me. I would need plans. :)

The only commercial one I can find is the Zombie-box and it's cost prohibitive.
This generator shed took about 1.5 hours to build, and the fan & shutters were simple to install - only used a saw, a drill & a screwdriver...

SunCast BMS2500 shed with some added features:

• PowerMate PM0126000 6000/7500W Generator - panel faces left, exhaust faces bottom of exhaust fan on right.
  • U.S. Carburetion MSK3101 Tri-fuel regulator with quick connect mounted on back side of generator. The primary regulator & hose can be run out a hole in the intake side for hot weather use, or on the exhaust side for cold weather use where the exhaust air keeps the tank at a moderately warm temp.
  • The generator legs sit in two rubber cups screwed into the floor joist so the generator can't move.
  • 16" 1,200CFM iLiving ILG8SF16V Exhaust Fan on the right side.
  • 17" 5NKN4 Dayton gravity operated inlet shutter on the left side.
  • 8 Gauge pigtail on upper left side going to Hubbell HBL2710AR L14-30R receptacle.
  • 60' 8 Gauge GenerLink cable stored on hose reel on left. Mounts on side of garage to the left.
  • Red L14-30P to 4x 20A 120V outlets stored on back wall for non-GenerLink use.
  • Thermal remote monitor mounted (out of frame) above center on rear wall, and a second one mounted outside on the propane tank.

Reactions: iowagold and Robh

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tabora, I see many people put a layer of foam insulation for sound deadening and cement board for fireproofing on those sheds. Did you consider that In your build?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
the choice of the gen set is the cost of down time...
yea i deal with commercial stuff.
but do some home owner as well!
think of the cost to replace the items damaged by bad power...
lol
how good is your insurance?
a wrong connected or bad generator you would find out for sure!
the hard way...
just take your time, over build your system and never have to look back!
but keep the gen system quiet, and secure is the best advice!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tabora, I see many people put a layer of foam insulation for sound deadening and cement board for fireproofing on those sheds. Did you consider that In your build?
I considered it, but it has not been necessary. It's fairly quiet (more so than a couple of neighbors' units), and the temperature inside has never hit the 80F alarm point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts