Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Troy bilt 5550, great machine, but my fuel tank developed a leak. Found it was cracked around where the grommet/shut off valve inserts. Tried having it plasti-welded but it failed. NOS tanks are not to be found, any ideas? I wouldn't mind a metal tank but how do i match it, where do i go to find one??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was hoping to not do the remote tank option. If i can find a flat tank i will make it work. But i will try the parts lookup.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
maybe post some pix with measurements..
a smaller tank will fit with brackets..
think coleman generator tank..
or northern tool generator tank.
parts from those places are easy to get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Troy bilt 5550, great machine, but my fuel tank developed a leak. Found it was cracked around where the grommet/shut off valve inserts. Tried having it plasti-welded but it failed. NOS tanks are not to be found, any ideas? I wouldn't mind a metal tank but how do i match it, where do i go to find one??
I have a Briggs and Stratton 5500W Storm Responder and in the pic of the Troy-Bilt 5500W posted the fuel tank looks just like my B&S fuel tank. There is a good chance B&S may still have them available. You can probably check on line for the B&S measurements.

Whimsey

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
yea guys measure the oem tank and the frame where it has to drop in to
i bet we can find one that will fit that frame!

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are replacement tanks all over Amazon Badger. Type in "generator replacement gas tank" and the world is your oyster. I searched for one for my backup backup generator, but the idea of retrofitting a new gas container over a source of ignition led me in a different direction. Either I'll go the boat gas tank route where I can place it away from the generator, or, since it is only a backup to my frontline generator, if the first one craps out, I'll just plumb its tank to the second generator and proceed. Or better yet, go LP on all.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I would use some Fuel Rated Sealant and try that repair again.( NOTE: you Must Seal from inside or it will never work)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's one on eBay (kinda pricey): Tank 193668GS troy bilt 01919 5550 10hp generator (3 4b) 736530573362 | eBay
Another option is to measure and see if one of these 5 or 7 gallon metal tanks will fit in that space, using the plastic tank as a mounting adapter with a cutout for the metal tank to sit into: 5/7 Gallons Generator Gas Tank Fuel Filter Cap Gauge Petcock For EC2500 / EC6500 | eBay
I have one of the 7 gallon ones set up next to my Onan.
View attachment 8406
That looks a lot like the one on my Honda EB11000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts