Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a generator for home use. Need it for 2 refrigerator/ freezers and 2 1/3 hp sump pumps. I checked numerous different charts but they're all different. I think I need at least a 5200 but one chart had me at 7000. When the power goes out, the sump pumps don't work and the rec room will flood. I don't want to spend too much on one that's over the top too powerful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looking to buy a generator for home use. Need it for 2 refrigerator/ freezers and 2 1/3 hp sump pumps. I checked numerous different charts but they're all different. I think I need at least a 5200 but one chart had me at 7000. When the power goes out, the sump pumps don't work and the rec room will flood. I don't want to spend too much on one that's over the top too powerful.
Are the sump pumps both 120V?

All motors tend to need 2-3 times as much wattage to start as they need when running steady. Figure about 500 watts running, and maybe 1,500 watts to start.

You should generally buy a bit more generator than you need, to give some margin for running other devices you may have excluded from your list. Better to have too much than not enough power, provided the larger unit isn't significantly more expensive.

Based on these thoughts, you'd probably be fine with a 4,000 or larger unit. There are plenty of models in this class, and most would offer 120V and 240V service. No-frills generators will be of an open-frame design, and usually run full-throttle. They are noisy and slurp a LOT of fuel, but are inexpensive.

Nicer models will be fully enclosed and appreciably less noisy. Top-of-the-line products produce super clean and high quality output via a special inverter design. It converts AC-->DC, then from DC-->AC. This allows the engine to run at speed matched to the load, so uses less fuel, quieter, longer engine life, etc. Expect to pay at least double the $$$, but a nice choice if used next to close neighbors, or when camping, etc.

Any generator is better than none during a true emergency / power outage. Nicer, quieter generators are worth the cost if used frequently or near others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts