Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 home that included a generac guardian standby generator. I can't find any markings to indicate the model or serial number of the device. There is a sticker that looks like it may have had that information at one point, but it is sun bleached.

I'm hoping to find out what model number of generator this is, so I can obtain an owner's manual and possibly a service manual.
Font Gas Electronic device Machine Electrical wiring

Plant Wood Grass Gas Rectangle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk

Rectangle Font Gas Wood Tints and shades

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Electrical wiring

Circuit component Electricity Electronic engineering Hardware programmer Electrical wiring

Rectangle Font Gas Concrete Signage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't heard back from the previous owners. They left a large number of owner manuals for other household items, but there was no manuals or other paperwork for repairs or maintenance pertaining to the generator. Even if I hear back from the previous owner, I don't have a lot of confidence that they will have that information. They only lived in this house a few years

·
Registered
611 Posts
The meter shows less than 34 hours on the unit, so it's not seen any serious use. If it's been maintained and isn't damaged, it should still work fine. It looks like it was an expensive unit when it was new, especially if it was an 1,800 rpm model. Nice addition to the house, for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is still operational. It runs at 3600 rpm. Lower kW versions of this run at 1800 rpm according to the manual I found. It has quite a bit of rust on the housing and support frame, but other than some battery post corrosion, the engine and electrical components look good. I'll clean it up and do routine maintenance on it.
I saw a forum post saying that it is getting difficult to obtain parts for this. Hopefully, I wont have any major problems with it. If so, I have a backup 3000 kW Honda generator to keep the freezer, fridge, and other essentials running.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, presuming it's using the same engine for all gens of this series, the higher-kW (20 and up) models requires the engine to put out a higher HP, which can only be achieved in this case if it's made to run at 3600 RPM.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
i would change out the anti freeze asap.
and do a compression test.
the head gasket could be an issue on a liquid cooled gen that set.
or change the coolant to the new state of the art one like they use in the super old cars....
maybe pressure test the coolant side as well for pin leaks.

from there check the dist rotor etc.
clean the spark wires with brake clean.
new spark plugs.
oil change.
air filter change the paper goes bad with age.

and then do a run up test to see if it works ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts