Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, if this is the wrong place or if there is a different forum that i would benefit more from please inform me as this is just what i found. So I need to buy a Diesel Generator. This is a backup generator so if my power goes out at my business i'm not stuck without power. We are on single phase power, and it can't be changed. So the specs for the generator we need are below..

Needs to run on Diesel
Minimum of 250 Volts
400-800 Amps
Single Phase
Starts by itself if the power were to go out

I had a very easy time finding stuff that was 3-phase and was also wondering if you could convert a 3 phase generator to these specs?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This would be a big genset, just over 250 HP. Before buying anything a check on your local regs is in order, both for fuel storage permits and siting requirements for a diesel of that size.

If stationary and emergency only, that unit will still fall under Tier 3 according to my interpretation of the EPA chart - and I am subject to correction if I misinterpreted that which is easy to do!

Any commercial electrician can build you a power distribution center allowing you to use a 480 vac 3 phase generator which is easy to find versus the one you list. Warning you now that will be $$$!

That seemingly short list you posted is a big project - I recommend you consult with a good electrician and someone dealing with large gensets on a daily basis as he would be current on permitting & sizing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts