Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
In the USA, such a generator backup system to a rental unit would be considered a very desirable feature, even if it does make some noise. I'm assuming that this, is in fact, a back-up unit (rather than a primary) and will be run rarely. I do wonder if the presence of big backup system like that is an indication that the utility power is very unreliable. If so, and it is runs frequently I might be concerned. First thing I would want to know is if that power does indeed power MY apartment and is included in the standard building fees or if there is an extra fee. (Or maybe its only wired to power the deluxe apartments on the top floor)!
lol or just wired to the buildings lights!
i would ask for a test run up of the generator or the test schedule for the year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sound you hear when those units run will be muffled by the TV and radio you still have because of them. The vibration will be your food not rotting in the frig and the air conditioning continuing to keep you comfortable while they are running. Your phone will continue to charge, your computer will still receive unwanted spam, p0rn, and viruses, and you'll be able to relax and read a book at night because of those things. The air pollution will be minimal, vented so many stories above you, and putting out nothing substantial over time. (Smog concerns, really Iowagold?). If you haven't heard it run by now, you already know it isn't daily - or weekly. As others have stated, it's a desirable feature and a plus to have the exhaust so well vented.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The noise may not be that much of an issue considering the benefits of not having it running, i agree.

t. The fumes, diesel fumes - that's another issue.

Diesel fumes will make you nauseous. That is a big diesel powered genset.

You don't want your patio doors open when that thing is running!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do not understand the Diesel phobia. These types of engines, while running at their optimal RPMs, the fuel is burned completly. Is not like a 1800s Coal Fired Steam Engine is spining the Gen Head.

On Diesel engines, the ones that you see on the streets belching smoke. Those enginere were tricked out to dump excess amounts of fuel. All the soot is unburned Diesel, same happen with rigs when the engine is running at lower RPMs and the driver has it floored.

I would not worry about that Gen Set.

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
Has anyone actually looked at the pictures posted by the OP?

First, there is a massive piping system from the exhaust of each of those generators, going up to the top of the building, in plain sight. Exhaust fumes are not going to be an issue on the fourth floor.

Second, those generators are clearly not large enough to provide anything but essential services like emergency lights and elevators. They are only going to operate for perhaps a weekly or even monthly exercise period maybe for an hour, and of course when there is a power failure, in which case, the noise they produce would be a small price to pay for enjoying the benefits of the service they provide.

Based on those pictures, the generator system in that building appears sound. Property owners in that building will be paying dues to a owners association for the maintenance on the building in the future, these systems included.

gkrish1001,it makes no sense why you've obviously spent a large amount of money to buy into this apartment, to only now have second thoughts over a potentially nonexistent problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the emergency gennies at our hospital arent bad at all, they sound like diesel trucks and when inside the hospital you cant hear them at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
People do not care much on how loud they are, but guess what, people freaks out when the noise stops. Then you hear the WFT happen to the gen set and for how long we have to wait for the power to come back on?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
stealth run on a gen system is nice...
that way you do not up set those who are in the dark...

it is that haves and have not thing..
it gets real bad after a BIG storm and hot temps....
if you have power with a LOUD gen set...
folks tend to get up set when they cannot sleep from the noise..
that window open and quiet time thing....

we see that at the state fair....
a good quiet box setup and you can glamp like no others!
(glamor camping)
but the temps are like 90 deg f at night!!
a real WOW!
hard to sleep with out air con units.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts