Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Somebody please help me with this doubt. This is making me stressed out a lot. Recently i bought an apartment and moved in. When i purchased i didnt see the
generator placed but after buying and at the time of moving in to my shock i saw the generator from bedroom balcony. Some say it wont make any noise or damage since i am at 4th floor but i am not convinced. So i need experts advice on this.

1) As i mentioned that i am in 4th floor will the generator noise will be terrible and disturbing?

2) Also i am disappointed to see that they have used some metal string for pipe support and clamped the smoke pipe to the building wall. Will it create any issues to my flat unit in long run? Should i try to find some seller and vacate as soon as possible?

Please help by answering this query.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think you should be lucky to live in an apartment building that has generator back up. I would not worry about it as it looks like a well designed system.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You mean there wont be noise and vibration ?
Maybe some, but it's when the power is out, right? How often and for how long do they plan to exercise them?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Folks on this site spend a lot of time and money buying and maintaining generators to keep the lights on during power outages.

It looks like your apartment building is doing that for you. You're lucky.

About the noise, I'm sure you will be able to hear the generators when they are running. How loud it will be cannot be determined until you hear them actually running. However, my bet is you won't find it to be a problem. Even though I can hear my home's emergency generator when it's running just a few feet from my bedroom, it certainly is not a problem for me, and the benefits of having modern conveniences during widespread electrical outages are certainly worth it. It must be, considering the amount of money and time I've put into them, including having to hauling fuel to keep them running.

I'd say congratulations to you for having such service provided for you.

PS: I used to work in an office building with similar diesel generators six floors down, just below my office. They were tested every few weeks. When they were running, I could barely hear them.

Let us know how they work for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The company I work for has 2 of these, 1 for each office building. When they exercise them it sounds like a freight train is coming down the road. I can hear these roaring from 200yds away and you can smell the diesel fumes also. Keep your windows closed when these are running and start looking for a new pad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks on this site spend a lot of time and money buying and maintaining generators to keep the lights on during power outages.

It looks like your apartment building is doing that for you. You're lucky.

About the noise, I'm sure you will be able to hear the generators when they are running. How loud it will be cannot be determined until you hear them actually running. However, my bet is you won't find it to be a problem. Even though I can hear my home's emergency generator when it's running just a few feet from my bedroom, it certainly is not a problem for me, and the benefits of having modern conveniences during widespread electrical outages are certainly worth it. It must be, considering the amount of money and time I've put into them, including having to hauling fuel to keep them running.

I'd say congratulations to you for having such service provided for you.

PS: I used to work in an office building with similar diesel generators six floors down, just below my office. They were tested every few weeks. When they were running, I could barely hear them.

Let us know how they work for you.
Thanks I too hope it should not make more noise as i have spent lots of money buying this apartment. Also does the smoke pipe affect the walls in long run?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't answer such a question. It would take someone with experience to know what the effect of the heat would be on the building's exterior. It does appears there is a significant air gap between the building and the pipe, so my "guess" would be there would be no negative effects. I believe I can hold my hand that close to my generator's muffler without problems, and the heat would be much less a number of feet from the engine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would say: If you are worried and that concerned, sell the apartment and buy in another location.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
to the OP is this india construction?
I wish the forum had more than the flag to id the country.

yea noise can be an issue.
the drone noise can be a real deal!
get a set of noise canceling head phones for sure!
bose makes those!

they need silicone boots on those pipes.
that helps on the noise isolation...
also baffles to cancel the noise as well as active noise canceling.

more thoughts....
if this is diesel....
think so2 gas as well making acid rain.
and the so2 gas can burn your lungs.
is this diesel or natural gas?
if it is natural gas think CO gas. it can crawl down the side of the building or leak at the joints.

yup keep the windows closed during a run.
is the power large enough to run all of the the air conditioning units?
or is it for basic lights?
rolling black outs is an issue if this is india just like in california in the usa.

buy a CO detector for sure.
if it is diesel buy a so2 gas detector or air quality detector as well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
raj -
Somebody please help me with this doubt. This is making me stressed out a lot. Recently i bought an apartment and moved in. When i purchased i didnt see the
generator placed but after buying and at the time of moving in to my shock i saw the generator from bedroom balcony. Some say it wont make any noise or damage since i am at 4th floor but i am not convinced. So i need experts advice on this.

Did the person who sold you the flat make this statement (Some say it won't make any noise)?? If so, I would find a good lawyer & file a lawsuit against the seller. No worries ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe this is new construction. It seems wise to actually experience what the generator's effects will be before selling the unit or filing a lawsuit.

Also, an owner will have to ask herhimself, is it better to hear the noise or to suffer the outage and its darkness and indoor temperatures.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would to have asked for a test run up!
take a db meter or get the db meter app for your smart phone with spectrum display recorder and see if the noise is over 60db...
the fumes would be my concern...
like i have stated get a set of noise canceling bose head phones!

i bet the noise is not that bad...
if they used double wall or triple wall stainless pipe the noise radiation will be less...

now acid rain from the exhaust...
that can be an issue!
so2 vapor turning to acid will eat the building over time!

·
Registered
111 Posts
It seems they routed the exhaust over the building with all that piping. The adjacent building might have more problems with vapors and acid rain. Don't really know most of the answers till it runs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would not worry about it. We had Diesel Gens in Iraq and Somalia when I was in the military. After a good while, the noise becomes background noise and you will not noticed them. Then, you will miss them when they shut off (no power and eerie quiet). As far fumes, looks like they did a great job at it.

I think is a plus on the purchase; is not like you are living next to a railroad track and get nothing in return for the inconvinience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the USA, such a generator backup system to a rental unit would be considered a very desirable feature, even if it does make some noise. I'm assuming that this, is in fact, a back-up unit (rather than a primary) and will be run rarely. I do wonder if the presence of big backup system like that is an indication that the utility power is very unreliable. If so, and it is runs frequently I might be concerned. First thing I would want to know is if that power does indeed power MY apartment and is included in the standard building fees or if there is an extra fee. (Or maybe its only wired to power the deluxe apartments on the top floor)!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts