Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
UPDATE: First and foremost, thanks to those who chimed in to help me resolve this issue. After searching for a resource to install an EasyStart 368, the stars are not aligning in Central Texas to do so. I've called a number of HVAC dealers and service techs. The vast majority of them have never even heard of a soft starter. Same with electricians.
My biggest concern is that even if I could find someone to install it, I'm very concerned about getting regular service for the unit with the 368 installed.
That along with my current health issues and back problems, I'm just not able to get around to work on things like I used to.
The reason I was getting the 368 in the first place was to be able to cool off the house when we lose power this summer using my Westinghouse Generator.
As much as I believe in the EasyStart, at the end of the day I think I will get a portable AC unit on wheels to cool off at least one bedroom until power returns.
I guess my next question is does anyone have recommendations on portable AC unit? I've been looking at the Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU or the SereneLife SLACHT108 10,000 BTU.
Should we finally get a dealer who know what they are doing, I can always sell the portable unit and then have the 368 installed
Thanks again for your input.
they make dandy inverter portable air coin units now..
500-800 dollar range on price.
i am looking at a 12k btu unit at menards for 700 usd.
heat cool with dehumidify.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got the LG portable inverter unit from Costco:

It's identical to this one from other retailers:

Bought some insulation wrap for the hose.

I have Andersen casement windows, so I purchased some lexan and cut a piece that fits exactly where the screen usually goes, then copied the hose attachment cutout onto the lexan and made a hole with a jigsaw to accept the hose attachment. Added some weather-stripping and knobs with sliding metal inserts to fix the lexan to where the screen levers attach to the frame for a solid install. I'm ready for any outages.
Property Window Light Textile Interior design

Haven't had to really use it yet, but it seems to work well after testing for a few minutes. It's pretty quiet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the same kind of windows and the same A/C in the 8000BTU. I did the same as you, just not as elegant. I did mine with plywood. :sneaky: Later I realized there were window units that fit in our casement windows, so I bought a 5500BTU window unit and built a plywood surround for it. Not as nice as yours, but the wife was happy when our central air to a crap.

Very nice job on yours(y)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got the LG portable inverter unit from Costco:

It's identical to this one from other retailers:

Bought some insulation wrap for the hose.

I have Andersen casement windows, so I purchased some lexan and cut a piece that fits exactly where the screen usually goes, then copied the hose attachment cutout onto the lexan and made a hole with a jigsaw to accept the hose attachment. Added some weather-stripping and knobs with sliding metal inserts to fix the lexan to where the screen levers attach to the frame for a solid install. I'm ready for any outages.
View attachment 12027

Haven't had to really use it yet, but it seems to work well after testing for a few minutes. It's pretty quiet.
nice job with the Lexan. I used to have a 12KW portable unit like that. It had two hoses going to the outside. One for outside intake air and one for heated exhaust air. Was a bit noisy in my opinion. Made me think they had it backwards. Redesign the unit so it is outside and run the cold air hoses in through the window.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts