Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am assuming that a gasoline engine that has been converted to run on natural gas does not put out as much horsepower running on natural gas as it does on gasoline.

True so far?

If so, and I want 4KW from a gas generator that has been converted to run on natural gas, what size generator am I shopping for? 5KW? 6.5KW?...?

Edit 2014 02-11 21:17:
I thought I had answered my own question. Browsing power.cummins.com, I come away with the impression that 4kw gas will get you 3.6kw on propane... so, I thought, can natural gas be much different?

The answer seems to be "Yes", and a *lot* different: http://www.propane101.com/propanevsnaturalgas.htm

Can anybody who knows something about this stuff put a finer point on it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I can't answer on the natural gas issue but I can on the propane.

I have two generators which I've converted using US Carbs kits. One of the steps you have to do to properly set them up is load it up to max load.

Both generators, a Tecumseh HM-100 5000 watt and a 3000 watt 7 hp Briggs easily ran at full output.

While propane and natural gas may have less BTU's than gasoline, remember, the carbs on these engines are "low tech." The mixtures are often far from optimal. The gaseous fuels likely burn more completely so you better utilize the fuel. As I've said in other threads, my generators run MUCH more smoothly on propane than they ever did on gasoline.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts