Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the Ida outage when I was brainstorming for ways to increase the run time on the GN400i because the bugs were literally taking a pint of blood during the 3:00 am refuelings, I came up with the idea to run a fuel line from the Coleman tank to the carb on the Wen. The Wen has a 1.85 gallon tank which was only good for about 6 hours powering the two fridges and the window a/c in my bedroom. The Coleman has a 6 gallon tank, which meant I could fuel up at around 6:00 pm when the bugs were still in the woods behind my back yard and not have to go back out there again until the next morning after daybreak had driven them back to the woods.

I did a bit more thinking about a solution that would be more portable than hauling that old 200 pound Coleman around. I got on the idea of taking a marine fuel tank and drilling a half-inch hole near the bottom. I could then insert a rubber grommet and a fuel valve. I could then use the tank in the same manner as the Coleman. I settled on a 9 gallon Moeller tank. It's pretty sturdy and the plastic is thick, perfect my my little project. I did the modification this afternoon. The 1/2 inch hole drilled out fine. I had to clean it up a bit with the flashing and the rough edges. I got the grommet in. The valve was a bit difficult to push in but I'm hoping that means it's got a very good seal now.

I took it outside and filled it with water. I wanted to make sure there were no leaks from the valve or grommet. Plus, I wanted to simulate how heavy the tank will be with 9 gallons of gasoline in it. Yeah, it's heavy. Heavy as a Chevy. But, no leaks and the valve streamed the water at a more than sufficient rate for a gravity-fed fuel setup. My rough math puts the Wen being able to run about 28 hours on a full tank, which is pretty good. Or, if I connect to the smaller Wen inverter, about 61 hours. In an actual outage situation, I'd probably have to mix and match inverter usage. But the marine tank adds some great flexibility.

Yes, I know the rules. Behold, my friends:

Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Luggage and bags Automotive lighting Bag Rectangle Orange

Now I need some kind of stand or table to use with it. Not sure what to use, although whatever it is, it's going to have to be rather sturdy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I got on the idea of taking a marine fuel tank and drilling a half-inch hole near the bottom.
That will work, but you also could have used the standard top-mounted fuel pickup with a priming bulb on the fuel hose. As long as the bottom of the tank is higher than the carb by a few inches, it will siphon just fine. I ran a Coleman PowerMate PM1800 for 20 years from a 6 gallon marine tank sitting on top of the truck box the generator was in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about that but didn't think it would work. Do they make hose and bulbs in .25 inch size? I guess I could still go that route. I would just have an additional, gravity fed means to supply the carb.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Do they make hose and bulbs in .25 inch size?
Yup, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and more...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Oh, and remember, that tank has a built-in reserve area, so you have to tip it to get the last amount of fuel to go to either the original pickup area or to your bottom drain.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Is there a fitting that attaches to the hose? There is a threaded hole at the top of the fuel pickup.
Each outboard manufacturer traditionally had a different type of connector. More recently, this universal connector has become more common:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Each outboard manufacturer traditionally had a different type of connector. More recently, this universal connector has become more common:
That fitting, with the quick release, looks like it would fit. You gave me an idea. With two attachments, it should be possible to fuel two inverters from the one tank, I would think. Even with two inverters attached, the tank is still three times larger than both OEM tanks combined. That should allow for a nice extended run time. Past a certain point, though, I would not want to run the inverters that long without stopping to check the oil to make sure all is well. The Champion already has a 4 gallon tank and can run for about 20 hours without stopping. I wish my Wen tank was as large.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
sure on the extended run fuel tank. multi gens with a manifold with quick disconnects
i check the oil every day about noon if it is not rain or heavy snow.
and service every other day to every 4 days if not running hard.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
With two attachments, it should be possible to fuel two inverters from the one tank, I would think.
Yup, you would just use the same setup used for twin outboard motors. The two legs with the shutoff valves go to your generators and the priming bulb is upstream of this splitter valve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
LaSwamp said "Now I need some kind of stand or table to use with it. Not sure what to use, although whatever it is, it's going to have to be rather sturdy".

Maybe you could put a pair of wheels and a handle on the stand, sort of like a generator. Then you wouldn't have to carry it to where you're going to use it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LaSwamp said "Now I need some kind of stand or table to use with it. Not sure what to use, although whatever it is, it's going to have to be rather sturdy".

Maybe you could put a pair of wheels and a handle on the stand, sort of like a generator. Then you wouldn't have to carry it to where you're going to use it.
Maybe something like a gardening wagon? Steel construction, sides slide down, beefy wheels.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
there ya go!
they make a dandy little red garden cart that can be used for LARGE air compressor to convert one to on wheels.
they come as a kit form bolt it together shipped.
so be ready for a Christmas eve build session!!
lol!
frantic with the tools!
lol!
what the heck is a tab zz?
lmao!
i thought that was nap time for tabby cat!
grin!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Now I need some kind of stand or table to use with it. Not sure what to use, although whatever it is, it's going to have to be rather sturdy.
I have a large-wheel manual scissor-lift table. It has 3 tilt positions, but can be locked in position anywhere. It can be low and flat to the ground (also the storage position tipped on it's side), tilted 45 degrees with the high end at bench height, or fully raised at bench height. Kinda like this, plus the tilt function:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts