Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pictures\part numbers of the powerhorse 13000es generator parts under the rear cover?
I came accross one. I looked at Northern Tool who has the manual but it doesn't have very good pics or part numbers. I don't want to order the 2 parts according to the manual(bushing and regulator) only to find i need more\expensive parts.
Anyone know of compatible parts???
TIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
looks like it was painted with retirement paint by a service shop.
most service centers mark the gens like this so they cannot be returned again under warranty.
an to warn other repair shops that it was not worth fixing (nwf)

now with that said
you need to check everything before you order any parts.

does the motor run?
then do the basic ohms checks on the stator and rotor with a fluke meter.
from there
brushes run 20-40 bucks
avr runs 20-60 bucks
make sure to check the wiring up to the control panel as well.

90% of the time when you find one like this you need a new gen head at 500-700 bucks.
if the motor is good.
unless the repair shop guy was lost on the repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
looks like it was painted with retirement paint by a service shop.
most service centers mark the gens like this so they cannot be returned again under warranty.
an to warn other repair shops that it was not worth fixing (nwf)

now with that said
you need to check everything before you order any parts.

does the motor run?
then do the basic ohms checks on the stator and rotor with a fluke meter.
from there
brushes run 20-40 bucks
avr runs 20-60 bucks
make sure to check the wiring up to the control panel as well.

90% of the time when you find one like this you need a new gen head at 500-700 bucks.
if the motor is good.
unless the repair shop guy was lost on the repair.
I know. Yes, a shop tossed it. It was tagged original symptom- "will not start". The ignition coil was rubbing the flywheel. Adjusted that and it starts and runs fine. I tested the coils(ohms and all) and did not find any shorts. With the original service tag, I assume someone yanked parts off this diagnosed "cadaver".

To be honest with u, the same shop tossed another 10000Power horse 2 moths ago. tested same thing. turns out the brushes were missing. It started fine. installed a brushing and it works fine- loaded several space heaters on it and all to test. All A-OK. Don't get me started what else this mower shop tosses that with cleanup or replace a simple part and they work.

-SO-

Being this brand isn't exactly as common as Briggs or Craftsman, I am having trouble finding a compatible brushing and regulator, any source or a like compatible part on ebay would be great. BTW, unlike the previous 10K I found, this one has 1- 4 pin cable and 1-2 pin cable which would be connected to the regulator. The 10K only has 1 4pin to the regulator.

I called NT Friday, and they gave me a price of about 160. for the parts. With the prior generator, I found the parts online for alot less. Being I actually have the original parts from the previous generator, I found this one , the parts are too small for this generator. More watts, so I can't use them and looking online, I can only find what look like for my smaller generator. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay the ~160 at NT...

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it’s any help, the 4-pin connector goes to the DPE and the voltage sense windings. The separate 2-pin connector goes to the brushes.

The DPE is AC and then rectified to power the AVR. The sense wires are also AC and gives the AVR real time feedback on what the output voltage is in one of the 120V legs. Finally, the AVR outputs DC to the brushes to control the excitation to the rotor in order to regulate the output voltage.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I know. Yes, a shop tossed it. It was tagged original symptom- "will not start". The ignition coil was rubbing the flywheel. Adjusted that and it starts and runs fine. I tested the coils(ohms and all) and did not find any shorts. With the original service tag, I assume someone yanked parts off this diagnosed "cadaver".

To be honest with u, the same shop tossed another 10000Power horse 2 moths ago. tested same thing. turns out the brushes were missing. It started fine. installed a brushing and it works fine- loaded several space heaters on it and all to test. All A-OK. Don't get me started what else this mower shop tosses that with cleanup or replace a simple part and they work.

-SO-

Being this brand isn't exactly as common as Briggs or Craftsman, I am having trouble finding a compatible brushing and regulator, any source or a like compatible part on ebay would be great. BTW, unlike the previous 10K I found, this one has 1- 4 pin cable and 1-2 pin cable which would be connected to the regulator. The 10K only has 1 4pin to the regulator.

I called NT Friday, and they gave me a price of about 160. for the parts. With the prior generator, I found the parts online for alot less. Being I actually have the original parts from the previous generator, I found this one , the parts are too small for this generator. More watts, so I can't use them and looking online, I can only find what look like for my smaller generator. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay the ~160 at NT...

Thanks.
yea you are better off with the NT parts on this one for sure.
LARGE gen set.
160 is an ok price for retail.

getting that paint off the rotor will be fun....
just take your time.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
oh yea what state is your honey hole for the gens?
guard that one for sure!
and keep quiet about it!
GRIN!
always nice to have a great source for spare parts!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
getting that paint off the rotor will be fun....
Or i could finish it and paint it all Hot Pink. It would be a good theft deterrent. :p
I ordered the parts from the shop.

Thanks Guys.

PS. i went looking to see what it would take the wire a breaker with a lockout but last time I looked, my box only has space for a single breaker. :cry:

11-15 update:

I got the AVR and brush after work today. Turns out the NT store had it in stock. Problem is the part is different than the gen original. The gen avr has 2 harnesses - 1 4 pin that connects to the wires from the coil like my other gen. There is also a 2 pin harness from the AVR. The 2pin harness from the generator itself I found in my other gen goes to power the USB port and auto engine speed control. The 2 pin from the generator doesn't fit the 2pin coming from the AVR. Both are the same size- "male" end connectors.

Anyone have a diagram or better yet, the same gen and can confrim this 2 pin has the same purpose as the 1000 to power the USB jack???

Does the fact 1 wire is yellow with a thin green line on it just like the big ground cable from the outlets indeed serve as a ground if this is indeed to power USB ports or other small DC\low power accessories???
TIA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the schematic I started over again. I took notes of what readings "should" be(i couldn't find any on exactly my model) on the schematic and checked readings.
I confirmed no shorts. All tests "normal"

Good news guys!! The new AVR didn't work but being the only difference(connection wise) is that the avr has an extra 2pin which according to the schematics, goes to charge the battery.

What do I have to loose??? I tried swapping the used AVR off a smaller gen(1KW gen)(that the shop tossed a few weeks ago :p). BINGO!!!!
It works!! I sped up the motor a little to get exact 120\240 out. I'm going to connect space heaters to load it and let it run later today.

I hate this when u try to fix it unknowing the replacement part doesn't work and you don't know it. GRRRR!!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I sped up the motor a little to get exact 120\240 out.
It's more important to adjust the speed to get the frequency set to 60 Hz. The acceptable range of voltage for the 120V nominal is between 105V & 132V.

Reactions: iowagold
1 - 15 of 15 Posts