Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All: I have a 12 yr old Kohler 14KW whole house generator on the ATS that will not start automatically each week to exercise so I start it manually once a week and it runs great. Takes around 7 to 8 cranks to start. My question is until I can get it serviced, if I need to use it, do I just start it up with the breakers all on, or turn the 70 amp generator breaker off until the engine gets up to speed and then turn the breaker on? Is there a certain sequence to follow? Does it matter? Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is usually a warm-up period after starting, before a gen is put under load; I'd guess about 30 seconds to be safe, w/o reading the owners guide. Main breaker off until warmed up, and then flip on to permit the load, if doing it manually.

Your owners guide for this gen should indicate the correct steps. If you don't have or can't find it, it is probably available out on the internet, even for an older gen such as yours. Just get the model number off the gen "nameplate", and do an internet search on it.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a somewhat "dedicated" forum for the Kohlers, unlike this one for Generacs:

https : //www.zillerstore.com/generac-air-cooled-generators-705132

I made heavy use of the generac forum when I ran a 22kw model ...

Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is usually a warm-up period after starting, before a gen is put under load; I'd guess about 30 seconds to be safe, w/o reading the owners guide. Main breaker off until warmed up, and then flip on to permit the load, if doing it manually.

Your owners guide for this gen should indicate the correct steps. If you don't have or can't find it, it is probably available out on the internet, even for an older gen such as yours. Just get the model number off the gen "nameplate", and do an internet search on it.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a somewhat "dedicated" forum for the Kohlers, unlike this one for Generacs:

https : //www.zillerstore.com/generac-air-cooled-generators-705132

I made heavy use of the generac forum when I ran a 22kw model ...

Hope this helps ...
Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts