Power Equipment Forum banner

Magnetic Plug For iQ3500

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  TomC 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a magnetic oil drain plug for my Generac iQ3500 and Westinghouse WPro 8500 and /or magnetized dip sticks. Haven't found anything in my searches.
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
it would be nice to be able to get the trash out of the crank case when you check or change the oil...
the mag drain plugs and mag dip sticks help with this on the little engines.

now if you have a spin oil filter they make a magnet wrap for those spin filters that works well for
the ultra fine trash in the oil that is below the 10 micron filter material.

#8 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have some Neodymium extreme strength disc magnets and have placed one on the steel drain plugs. These may cause any fine metal particles to attach to the plug. We'll see after I exercise them. Regards.....Tom

#9 ·
Was out in the barn today and remembered I had telescopic magnet tools. Wondering about putting a strong magnet on the oil pan near the fill port to capture and collect any metal. When changing oil, remove magnet, then insert one of these in the fill port to remove any particles. Given the limited availability of oil drain or dipstick magnets being creative might be the way to go. Link attached for typical ones.

Personally, have been using and repairing small engines for over 50 years and never felt the need for trapping metal particles. I am, however, rabid about changing and using good oil.

#10 ·
Was out in the barn today and remembered I had telescopic magnet tools. Wondering about putting a strong magnet on the oil pan near the fill port to capture and collect any metal. When changing oil, remove magnet, then insert one of these in the fill port to remove any particles. Given the limited availability of oil drain or dipstick magnets being creative might be the way to go. Link attached for typical ones.

Personally, have been using and repairing small engines for over 50 years and never felt the need for trapping metal particles. I am, however, rabid about changing and using good oil.

what we are trying to do is capture the trash out of the suspension in the oil during the engine run.
ultra fine stuff below 20 mesh.... most of it is at 400 to 1000 mesh size...
ultra fine metal dust...
super hard on bearings stuff...
just like ultra fine sand paper.... over a 100 hours of run time that makes more trash and wears on the roller parts..

when we knock it out of suspension and grab it on the oil magnets it is captured till you check the oil on the mag dip stick..
or till you change the oil on a drain plug magnet...

it is cheap insurance for sure...
and yes they work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.