Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined the forum, hope everyone got through the ice storm in good shape. We made it through with only 23 hours of no power. Ran the generator for a few hours at a time to keep the ice boxes going. .
I have a couple issues with a 11hp, 4500 watt Amico portable generator that I just got running on the coldest day of the year, lol. Friend gave it to me a couple years ago with no fire, just got around to checking it out. After cleaning the magneto rotor, I got fire, pulled carb down and cleaned everything meticulously(I'm a small engine mechanic), fired up first pull. I have not worked on many portable generators output side so this is slightly new to me. Output voltage on my DMM shows 112vAC, and an erratic Hz reading right around 50. No adjustments that I made to the governor preload changed the output. Is this common on these generators? Does that sound like a regulator issue, or something internal to the alternator/generator itself?
Another issue this one seems to have is the thing "4 strokes", when loaded or unloaded. That doesn't seem right because most every other portable I've worked on ran a steady RPM, where this one continuously goes up and down. Sounds like it needs a slightly larger main jet(orifice). I'm running this on an I V test tank because the original petcock was broken, so there is no issue with fuel flow. However I did not check fuel level in the carb.
Thanks for any adwice you can lend me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You need to check the rpm. it should be running at 3600 rpm. If it's slow, the frequency will be low.
If it's hunting, seems you have a carb problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just joined here, probably going to post about my NorthStar/Honda soon.
If a gen is hunting and carb has been cleaned, new air cleaner and fuel filter it could be wear/slop on the governor joints. Springs tighten these up typically but sometimes you need a bushing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts