Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you guys recommend for a log splitter to a guy who has never used one before. i'm thinking of getting one but not too sure i need one. if i buy one it won't see alot of use or should i just put the money to use elsewhere in my power equipment

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you will only use one only a couple times a year, I am thinking about just renting one for a day. Might end up being cheaper than buying one for me. Unless I can make a eletric one really cheap!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have thought about that too but if i decide to buy one it won't be for a few months have to let the finances recover from buying my new saw

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Ya, it's alot of money to throw down, if it's only gonna get used, once in awhile. I have seen some nice used units on Craigslist, for about half the money of a new one.

If you got a tractor with a PTO maybe one of those 3-pt splitters would be a good choice.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am wondering if a Tractor's hydraulics is enough to run a splitter? I know the bigger tractors can, but what about, say a JD 318? Hydraulic ports in the front can run a loader so why not a log splitter? Or does it take more PSI that it will put out?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I believe it would be pretty taxing on the tractors pump and likely slow too. Have to check GPM and PSI to verify.

Most i've seen seen have an auxiliary pump that fits on your PTO. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts