Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a used Coleman power mate 5500 generator with a Yamaha MZ300 that has 140 hours on it. I have had a Honda EU2000I for 20 years and it still runs like a top but I need something that can handle my well pump on 220.
Can anyone share experiences they had with a Coleman power-mate 5500 generator with a Yamaha motor?
Also, it has a flat tire so trying to locate a replacement tire and or tube. Going to pick it up tomorrow and would like to roll it around on two good tires!
Thanks for reading and much appreciated for any tips

·
Registered
154 Posts
Big Yamaha fan but no experience with the Coleman generators.
Are you sure a 5500 watt genny is going to start-up the well pump? Depending on HP and depth of well, it may need a lot of current to start-up. Do you know the LRA for the well pump motor?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 15yr old Coleman 5500 with a Subaru EX30 engine, wouldn't trade it for anything. Powers my 1/2hp 220V well pump with no issues. From what I've heard, Yamaha makes a good engine also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Big Yamaha fan but no experience with the Coleman
Same here, good stuff
trying to locate a replacement tire and or tube
I dont know your exact tire size or axle dia but I imagine Habour Freight should have what you need. Or Amazon. Were it me, I'd elect to replace both with a flat free rubber tire/metal hub model. The expense is minimal IMO and no flat tire worries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 15yr old Coleman 5500 with a Subaru EX30 engine, wouldn't trade it for anything. Powers my 1/2hp 220V well pump with no issues. From what I've heard, Yamaha makes a good engine also.
Thanks very much. I picked it up yesterday for 225 dollars and it has 114 hours on it. Guy even documented his first 3 oil changes in the log book. Got a cable and owners manual. How often are folks changing the oil / spark plug on these?
Now to figure out the transfer switch

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, nice knowing the machines history. Makes it even better if the cable you mentioned is a cord with the twist lock connectors.
How often are folks changing the oil / spark plug
To each their own in this aspect, the average portable gen usually hold a quart or less of oil. Because of the small capacity I'll change mine out approx every 20-25 hours when in constant use.

No matter the hours and/or documentation, I enjoy giving any freshly aquired OPE a good going over and getting aquainted with it.
I begin with a short warm up, then change the oil using a quality synthetic of proper weight (see your owners manual), pull the spark plug, document and if I didnt install a new one I'd for sure pick one up to have on the shelf. I prefer an NGK but am content with a Champion. Again the manual should tell you what they installed at the factory & recommend, (hopefully not a Torch brand). Being a Yamaha engine I'd guess its an NGK. Judging by the way the PO cared for the gen the plug in hand will probably match the manuals suggestion.
I'd also give the air filter and assembly a good look-see along with the fuel line and filter (if it has one). Have a peak inside the fuel tank.
Check for any obvious loose nuts or bolts, clean it up and take some pics to bring out here for us to see!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned it up and am puzzled on how to get the spark plug out? Do I need to remove the gas tank? if so is the shut off valve in line or will it start leaking as soon as it is pulled up? Very tight getting to the spark plug from what I can see,.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Trunk Bumper

·
Registered
132 Posts
how to get the spark plug out? Do I need to remove the gas tank?
I would say no, do the side panels pop off or are they part of the frame? Removing the tank would be a last resort for me, surely Coleman wouldnt design it that regard.
The manual that you got with it should explain the how-to in the maintenance section. Did the PO include a Coleman tool kit? Such kits usually come with a deep plug socket, leverage rod, maybe a screw driver and a common wrench.
Going by your pics, access certainly looks tight. I wouldnt attempt a plug change with a hot motor. Even when cold you might skin your knuckles, (I probably would, especially when using a factory included deep socket w/sliding rod).
I'll include a pic of what options I generally choose from for plug removal, take your pick...On occasion a simple box end flat wrench can do the trick as well.
I hate 'em, but the (pictured) brass colored deep socket is the norm with most 'included' tool kits. Have a look at your EU2000 kit, you may well have one already that is hopefully the same size socket.

Hand tool Tool Ratchet Wrench Metal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts