Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I am trying to determine the largest size hardened chain that will fit through an EU2200i handle (with aftermarket metal cover). Does anyone have helpful information, and better yet a link to where the chain can be purchased?

TIA,
Blane

·
Registered
186 Posts
First consider adding one of these,

I put one on my eu2000, and it is stated to fit the eu2000, and covers the handle so it would be difficult to cut the plastic handle off. I will admit it makes carrying the generator a little less comfortable.

Next measure the height of the opening between the generator body and the handle and go to a good local hardware store and give them the measurements, or simply take the generator along and show them what you want.

The chain I have measures,outside on the links 1 1/8 x1 7/8 and are welded hardened links.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have a Honda eu2200 with the anti-theft handle cover and I use a security cable looped through the handle and have it locked to my workbench or truck frame etc. I got the cable from Harbour Freight. I'm sure that it could be compromised easier than a hardened steel chain, but it is very flexible and quiet, and better than nothing. Dutchy

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
we use cable lock here.
just get an master lock cable chain set for atv.
click here for the cable lock page
15.00 for a good one.
and it is coated so it will not scuff your case.

you could get sc90 binder chain that is the highest rating in off the shelf chain.
and plastic dip the chain.
most use the hidden lock method in the base plates for higher security.
let me know if you need links for that..

you are better off building a concrete gen shack with heavy steel door for super high security.
you can clad it with decorative block or colored tin to make it look right on the property.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also have a couple of heavy duty cable locks and some heavy duty padlocks in my travel bag. At home I have the hardened chain which I also put to other uses, like dragging tree limbs behind my mower when needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I curious about iowagold's cable chain set. I am not sure I understand. The only cable chains I am aware of are the kind used on tires when its snowy out. Is there a security product that combines cables and chains?

I would rather not use hardware store chain. I have a set of bolt cutters I use on my personal property and there hasn't been a chain yet that they won't cut in about 5 seconds. My experience with cables though have shown them to crush when I tried using my bolt cutters on them. I could probably get through them but it would take awhile. (I understand power tools will go through any of these products but I am counting on the noise to make me aware of the attempted theft.)

Thanks again,
Blane

·
Registered
186 Posts
The cable locks I have are something like these, thicker and heavier than the typical bicycle lock

The chain I got at the local hardware store/lumberyard that i mentioned required something that they used to cut it, much stronger than the typical bolt cutter. As I remember it had a ratchet action, a rather long handle and took quite a few pumps to cut through that chain.

Personally I think a stout chain would be much harder to cut than a cable lock which is just finer strands of wire. The link material on my chain is probably close to 5/16" in diameter.

I did a quick search and here is a true security chain, probably a bit on the short side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This thread got me interested and did some research, I found Western Rigging Supply and the Pewag chain and their Viro locks and placed an order. Chain is square links, and hardened, locks have no space for a bolt cutter to attack the straight bar shackle.

When I have had my generator out I always worried about theft, even though it would probably take 2, more likely 3 men to pick it up. Nothing is impossible to defeat, but with this security setup, it will now be far more difficult to steal.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
you are just looking to keep the honest as honest!! lol!
and keep the legs short on the gens..
lol
they like to walk off!!
grin!
hidden from view, and quiet is the best plan!!
if they hear or see a loud or open view gen it is a target.

and gps trackers are nice for equipment and expensive gens too.
as well as job trailers and trucks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's why after starting to read this thread, and doing some research I decided to upgrade my security chain and locks. The location where I have to position my generator is wide open, at the end of a free standing carport, With the chain I have coming the easy way to steal my unit will be to cut through a 4" square steel post , pull it to the side and take generator, chain and all.. A more secure way may be to lock one end of the chain around the axel or trailer hitch(not the ball) of my 3/4 ton truck.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I’m rethinking my security measure as well now. lol. I was reluctant to use chain since it rubs and scratches, but the sleeve on that Vulcan chain solves that plus its impressively strong. Pricy... But cheaper then then replacing an eu7000, eu2000, and eu1000 which live together in my enclosure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, my eb11000 and two EU2000 's would be about $8000 to replace. I ordered two 8' sections of Pewag 10mm chain from Wes tech rigging supply, a lot less expensive than the Vulcan, and opted to forgo the sleeves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, my eb11000 and two EU2000 's would be about $8000 to replace. I ordered two 8' sections of Pewag 10mm chain from Wes tech rigging supply, a lot less expensive than the Vulcan, and opted to forgo the sleeves.
I have been eyeing the same chain but it didn't know if the links were fed through at an angle if they will slip through the handle on my EU2200i's. The width of a link is 1.375" and I only have about 1" of clearance. Have you determined they will fit through your EU2000s' handles?

Blane

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have been eyeing the same chain but it didn't know if the links were fed through at an angle if they will slip through the handle on my EU2200i's. The width of a link is 1.375" and I only have about 1" of clearance. Have you determined they will fit through your EU2000s' handles?

Blane
I just went out and measured my EU2000 looks like 1 7/16.. If close we could probably tilt the link to the side and have plenty of clearance. If it does not work for those little generatoers, I will definetly be using it on my EB11000. Last night when I was looking at their website I saw a smaller 9/32 chain that has a link height of 0.95", still a hardened chain

Jeff

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
@jkingrph Can you chime back with how it fits through the eu2000 handle? It looks like for $3-4 bucks a chafe sleeve can be ordered with the chain. Good stuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just ordered it a couple of days ago, have not received it.

I looked at the chafe sleeve and the price shown is per foot. $3.00/foot +11.95 for chain. I ordered two 8 foot chains, so that would be 16' Knock off a 6" at each end would still be 14" of sleeve or $ 42 for sleeve. The way my big generator is made I really don't need it and may at a later date order a couple of pieces to use near the ends, I don't think the entire chain needs to be sleeved.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts