Power Equipment Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would be curious what the fuel consumption would look like on one of the larger units - like the Honda EU7000 or Powerhorse 7500 - at light loads. There is a threshold of power generation before the engine needs to make more power.
That's an age old question for sure. Most of us size for the peak, not the bottom. I added a tachometer to my EU2200i and based on the RPM's as well as "listening" to the load (scientific huh?), I'd say the sweet spot for minimal fuel usage is around 25% load. Obviously running it with a less load will take gas no matter what, but I have no good way to measure that difference. Some manufacturers actually list those specs on gas usage.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
on what fuel for the numbers fly?

yea inverter gen with servo throttle is the way to go.
they do make a version of the eu2200i as higher voltage for uk and other markets.
just watch the HZ as some are 50hz versions like down unda. grin.

so how much 240 power do you need?
in watts please.

·
Registered
137 Posts
on what fuel for the numbers fly?

yea inverter gen with servo throttle is the way to go.
they do make a version of the eu2200i as higher voltage for uk and other markets.
just watch the HZ as some are 50hz versions like down unda. grin.

so how much 240 power do you need?
in watts please.
Gasoline specifically as that is an easier reference point for me (I don't speak propane and natural gas very well yet).

As to 240v power - the idea is more so to have 2 legs of 120v - so a 4 pin connector, not 3. So simply a "higher voltage" version of an EU2200i would not work unless it had neutral and 2 hots for power.

In an inverter generator you would have to have 2 banks of transistors that can be modulated 180deg apart (or one bank above and one bank below 0v) to get the split phase. I do not believe the EU2200i is able to do that, but I could be way wrong as I am not sure what the "other end of the world" has as far as market demand, though I am familiar with the European standard 220v @ 50hz single phase power (2 wire, not 3 like our split phase here in North America).

If you did not have a neutral one way around it would be a transformer - but as anyone that has been around transformers/analog power much would know - the losses in the transformer would make that a terrible idea. If you did have an efficient transformer then a center tapped secondary would give you the neutral and you would have your split phase. That is how the step down transformers work from the power grid to service entrance anyway - knock down the line voltage to 240v, center tapped for split phase - thus the 3 wires coming from the pole/transformer.

In fact, going back to the European conundrum for travelers from the US with powering 110v devices off the European 220v - there are step down transformers that you can get that do exactly this. Example below:

The catch to those step down transformers is they only change the voltage, not the frequency. If you have devices that are sensitive to the lower 50hz freq you're hosed. Though, a lot of devices will be spec'd at 110-120v @ 50/60hz, just not all. One more detail to be aware of - sort of like combing through nutrition labels if you have a sensitive digestive system or allergy - have to be careful and know what you're looking at.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do smaller 240v inverter generators exist?

I went looking at a lot of the brands - powerhorse, generac, honda, champion, harbor freight, yamaha - and none of them make a "mid range" inverter generator that has 240v that I've found. The closest is the Yamaha 6300w inverter. Those up to around 4500w have 30a 120v outlets, but don't do split 120/240v.
I missed one. Powerhorse 4500 open frame inverter - it has switchable 240v on an L14-30 connector. 4500 peak watts/3700 running watts.

That seems like a good price for what it is. I would be curious how it holds up.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's the story on Powerhorse generators? Do they roll their own or are they rebadged?
That is a good question. When I was looking hard at Northstar generators a couple years ago I was on the fence with their 13k starting/10.5k running unit. I was at a store asking about them and the guys there also pointed out Powerhorse as being an option. They way they described it to me was Powerhorse is "their brand" that makes "their best clone" of a Honda engine and Northstar alternator. Of course, this was with respect to rotary generators and not inverters.

Whether that was a sales pitch from them or not, if that is true then Powerhorse appears to be a brand that Northern Tool has influence over for products. I am not sure if Powerhorse is offered anywhere else. I am also not sure if they are as you suggest "rebadged" from another manufacturer, though I dont think they are if what I was told is accurate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is a good question. When I was looking hard at Northstar generators a couple years ago I was on the fence with their 13k starting/10.5k running unit. I was at a store asking about them and the guys there also pointed out Powerhorse as being an option. They way they described it to me was Powerhorse is "their brand" that makes "their best clone" of a Honda engine and Northstar alternator. Of course, this was with respect to rotary generators and not inverters.

Whether that was a sales pitch from them or not, if that is true then Powerhorse appears to be a brand that Northern Tool has influence over for products. I am not sure if Powerhorse is offered anywhere else. I am also not sure if they are as you suggest "rebadged" from another manufacturer, though I dont think they are if what I was told is accurate.
I was curious because Cabela's has their own line of open frame generators. They are made by Champion. Odd, since they also sell Champion generators as well.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts