Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Just purchased a used Kubota 2.2 liter diesel with a Stamford 15 kw, P1 (1800 RPM) generator. This is a single phase 240 volt AC alternator. The diesel runs fine but no AC voltage coming out of the main lines on the Stamford alternator. I have had all the covers off of the generator and smell no burn smell and everything appears to be fairly clean. Checked all fuses and they check good. Checked continuity of output line from one end to the other and it's good. Checked continuity of the main breaker switch on the generator and it also checks good. Thinking maybe bad regulator. I'm not a schooled electrical tech but have just enough knowledge to get in trouble. I know very little about doing electrical work on generators but hoping I can bring this one back to life with maybe someones advice from this forum. I have located a PDF manual for this P1 generator but not really sure where I should start looking first for the problem? The generator is brush less. Any help from someone that is knowledgeable about this type of generator would greatly be appreciated. The generator has been setting for a long period of time. How long I'm not really sure.

JC

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Post the link to the PDF and the schematic.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
if you can run a vom you should be set.
just walk down through the basics first with a vom..
check the windings first with the vom.
look for bad solder, blown fuses, corroded connections, broken wires.

from there you get in to board level repair

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you can run a vom you should be set.
just walk down through the basics first with a vom..
check the windings first with the vom.
look for bad solder, blown fuses, corroded connections, broken wires.

from there you get in to board level repair
I found a couple videos on YouTube that has give me some tips. One was alternator excitation procedure (Flashing the exciter field) This did not seem to fix the problem. So now it's on to checking windings, diodes, etc..

·
Registered
375 Posts
@ John C. Davis:
I wonder if your generator has slip rings and brushes.
If it does, there is an interesting video on You tube by "Small engine mechanic" that shows him repairing a non working Cummins generator. He shows his approach and the reading of the windings. I rate him at the top with some of the guys on this forum. There are two videos and very much worth watching. Here is the link:
Part 1"
2015 Cummins Home Standby Generator IS IT DEAD ALREADY? Pt. 1/2 - YouTube
Part 2"
COMPLETE REPAIR AND TEST 2015 Cummins Power Home Stand By Generator Pt. 2/2 - YouTube

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ John C. Davis:
I wonder if your generator has slip rings and brushes.
If it does, there is an interesting video on You tube by "Small engine mechanic" that shows him repairing a non working Cummins generator. He shows his approach and the reading of the windings. I rate him at the top with some of the guys on this forum. There are two videos and very much worth watching. Here is the link:
Part 1"
2015 Cummins Home Standby Generator IS IT DEAD ALREADY? Pt. 1/2 - YouTube
Part 2"
COMPLETE REPAIR AND TEST 2015 Cummins Power Home Stand By Generator Pt. 2/2 - YouTube

No Brushes, Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good luck finding the problem, but if it is like the recent bout I had with a 25 year old B&S you have a problem.
The B&S had a shorted stator.
I am too old to wrestle with a heavy stator and all of the tear down that goes with it, so the guy got a new generator.

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just disassembled the alternator and discovered the problem. One of the main stator coils has got really hot at some point in it's life. Coil is burned really bad. So now I have to find out what it is going to cost for new windings or a whole new alternator.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bill's generator was working just fine, then the lights started to flicker while it was in use.
I checked it after it was shut down for return of utility.
The Generator was putting out 5 VAC @ 75 hertz with two 60 amp light bulbs connected as a load.
The bulbs would not light.
I spoke to Paul (Iowagold) and he indicated that the stator was shorted.
Sure enough it was.
If the generator is not too old, try to fix it.
Good luck.
As for parts, go here:
Ziller Forum (zillerstore.com)
They are the Generac guru's and they have parts so join the forum there.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
well if the gen is a high dollar gen go for a rewind at a rewind shop.

if low cost... then a new gen head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts