Power Equipment Forum banner

Which Generator to Choose?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
i would use stainless on any fabric...
yea hard to keep out any pest that really wants in.
bug or other pest!

i have seen mice through such small cracks it is not even funny..

they make that spun stainless mesh for cooking range vent grease filter.... that might be an idea...
find a place that has used restaurant supplies or a salvage yard...
some of that is ultra high flow.
most of the home units are less than 16x16 inch
but for industrial they go large sizes.

watch the numbers on the % of open area...
the larger the number the better the air flow.
most of the 20 mesh i saw was at 52%...
so less than 50% of air flow...

in cool to cold weather it would be ok.
but on the super hot days like we have right now..
the temps can get run away fast...
the diesel will stand for the temp...
the electronics and the gen head will not stand for the over 300 deg f for long run...
i would do a thermo probe as wireless to the inside of the case with multi channels
one on the gen head exhaust
one for the case or chassis inside.
and one somewhere on the back side of the control panel.

hey that brings up a good one!
what controller did you get with the new gen set?
does it have the lan connection for the live engine data?
there is a plug in unit for cat computer for blue tooth on the engine data.
they may have a wifi adapter for that as well.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
This gen is actually a tier 3 machine. Something about emergency standby only requires EPA tier 3. Very happy about that! The enclosure is the sound attenuated model with sound proofing all over the interior walls and muffler. Supposed to be no louder than an air conditioner.

The transfer switch is an ASCO automatic transfer switch. It is absolutely enormous! It seems to keep with the theme of over the top! Lol

View attachment 9475
View attachment 9476
i would mod that box a bit if it was me with extra meters and indicators...
but that is just me!

but this is under warranty....
unless you could ask the install guys if they do any mods for extra indicators and meters.

plenty of room in there for a bit of expansion.
nice clean install for sure!
i bet the inspection guy was giddy!!
lol!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the link! That looks like good stuff. Not cheap though. I agree with Paul, I would be concerned about the airflow. What size holes did you go with? How does the steel they use hold up to outside exposure over time? Does it rust?
I went with 1/8 inch holes 20 gauge thickness. I think if I was to do it over again I would go with 1/4 holes. It should still keep out wasps and snakes and lizards but allow for better airflow. I'm not sure of the coating. (Zinc maybe) It doesn't show any signs of rust yet.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the wasp will get in a 3/16 hole

just watch the open grid rating and stay over 75% open

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
it is the restriction rating.
the ratio of hole to material and air flow disruption.
and woven metal wire or "wire as fabric" does flow better volume than punch plate.
it has to do with the round wire...
but the square hole does disrupt the flow as well.

most good metal places have the flow % numbers math all done.
just search for suppliers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Mine is the EMCP 4.2B Generator Set Controller. I'm not sure if it is has a LAN connection capability. I don't believe it does, but I may be wrong. When I ordered the gen there was a 3rd party remote monitoring product available, but it was nearly 2 grand and I didn't want the price to get out of hand.

What extra meters and gauges are you referring to specifically?

I'm still on the hunt for a high flow stainless screen. I like those perforated sheets, but to get the 1/8" holes to keep the wasps out, It looks like it may restrict airflow more than I want. Can't yet seem to find what I'm looking for in the sizes I need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is the restriction rating.
the ratio of hole to material and air flow disruption.
and woven metal wire or "wire as fabric" does flow better volume than punch plate.
it has to do with the round wire...
but the square hole does disrupt the flow as well.

most good metal places have the flow % numbers math all done.
just search for suppliers.
Thanks for that explanation iowagold. I would not have thought there would be much difference between holes and woven material.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just ordered this stuff cut to my exact sizes. Should be in next week.

I like that stainless mesh, I hope it works well for you. I'm going to stay with what I have and hope it breathes well enough. If it doesn't I'll figure something else out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another factor that was very surprising to me was the larger 40kw gen actually has very similar fuel burn per kw to the smaller 30kw unit. So while i will burn about 1 additional gallon of fuel per day, running at 20kw (or 50 percent), vs 66% on the 30kw unit, with a 250 gal tank that is nearly inconsequential.
Do you have the burn rate data in a chart/graphic you can share? I am curious to see it.

these are tier 3 and 4 machines... not sure if wet stacking is an issue with electronic injection.
Per Pauls speculation above - I presume the fuel injection will curb wet stacking. The question I would have is at low loads is the minimum amount of fuel to keep the engine running at rated RPM (1800 for 60hz) low enough to prevent "wet stacking"? And what wattage/electrical load does it take to require more power and, thus, more fuel beyond the minimum? Like is the first 10 or 15% load a flat line on the fuel consumption and it starts ramping up at 25%?

On CAT's site the only rating I see is the 40kw. If we take that as an absolute for running (the lower of the 2 conventional ratings - running/starting) that would put 25% at 10kw. When we don't have any heavy loads (AC, microwave, etc) we're under 2kw with the usual consumer electronics, lights, ceiling fans. If you take 2kw on the high end - and double it - you're at 4kw. That is still only 10% load on that 40kw unit.

If you look at what ever higher loads you may have - AC is the obvious one - if that bumps you up to 7kw (3.5kw X 2 units) and add that on top of your 4kw load from above (what I think is a high number) you're at 11kw. That is just barely over the 25% load number - if the AC's run simultaneously and not alternating.

Yeah, I'm leaving out a lot of other loads. Though, I think that 4kw number is enough to catch some of the miscellaneous kitchen loads (minus the range/oven on full blast). That is good for the fuel consumption numbers, but what does it do to the fuel injection and the engines' ability to burn the fuel that is there? Assuming it is warm out and the AC is running on routine cycles that would ramp the loading up a bit. Without much of the 4kw load, though, the 7kw from the AC's would be a good bit under 25%. What ever that jump is in load - is that adequate to get the engine past wet stacking? Or do you need to throw a bunch at it to get up closer to 75% for a period of time to exercise it?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
on the tier 4 and 5 units they really have the pulse sample rate as supper high...
way way better on the fuel map.
but tier 3 is real good on the map.
what is the hp rating on the gen set?
that has to do with the software and the injectors.
and those tags are on the computer.
just snap a pix is best.

I was involved with a year 2025 tier 5 setup this last week for epa testing and cert.
pretty cool on the fuel map!
a little 250 hp and a 600 hp unit.

to pass the epa thing it has to do with heat on engine, intake , charge air temps...
super narrow window to keep it at perfect at rated HP.
and the ramp up and down has to be perfect as well.
and no power robbing dpf! that was a real ha moment!

not quiet as clean as the ng Lp setups but they are getting super close!

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is all I have for published data.
LC4.4 40kW TSS.pdf
Interesting. They don't start the fuel consumption data until 50% with 2gal/hr. And standby is rated 4kw higher than prime use. I can understand the derate for prime, but the 50% load between the two goes from 20kw on standby (2.0galhr) to 18kw on prime (1.8gal/hr). 18kw is a lotta power!!!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts