Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install a manual start/stop switch (actually a timer). The reason is because I use propane as a fuel. If I am away during an extended outage (hurricane or ice storm), I would rather have the generator cycle so it is not running 24/7.

My questions to ponder are these: Since the unit uses a RXT switch, what does the empty TB1 terminal 3 (remote start/stop) do? Will it function if the RXT is engaged from a power failure?

Same question for empty terminal 4 (emergency stop). If the emergency stop is engaged via a timer, will it shed the load at the same time the engine gets the signal or will I get a gradual voltage drop as the motor slows and stops?

Any insight will be helpful
Thanks, Lou

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
good points!
are you using an ats on the system?
some of those have built in cut in and out for the voltage sense.
nice for run down and start up.

does the system have wifi???
that is nice for remote run and monitor on the system..
also look in to sat phone for the gen so you can remote telemetry with the gen set via data connection over the sat phone.
dial up and telex connect.
elons data system would be nice for this as well.
but the antenna needs to be shielded and mounted secure for trash and high winds.
they make ray domes that work well like on a simi truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it has wifi, but to be sure when power fails in this area, it almost always is due to a tree impact on wires which takes out the internet too. I really don't want to pay for cell/satellite service for this. Thanks for the info.
Lou

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
no on the cell as the towers loose power as well.
sat is the way to go for when total black out due to storms.
setup the sat phone as a hot spot and run a charger off the gen power to keep the battery charged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts